or Connect

Posts by balrog

Quote: Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl Hey there! I'm in Houston, too. How old are your kids? 5 and 7. Cthulhu could easily deck a balrog, but I see we have scifi/fantasy stories in common.
Hi. I've been around since 2003, posted here and there, mostly in 2004 and 2005, lurked until 2007, and then I didn't log in for a bit over a year. I can't promise to post a lot, given my history, but I'm hoping to find a comfortable place to hang out and lurk, at least. Maybe post some and get to know people. It looks like I never posted an intro before, so here you all are. I used to live in NY but now I live in TX, I have 2 kids, I have 4 pets, I'm a real person...
I am new posting to this thread. I've been reading thru the old posts (here & in the original thread) for weeks! I'm not all the way up to the end yet, either, but tonight I wanted to post. I am so grateful for this thread. I felt there was something wrong with me, that if I ever admitted that I yelled & lost it then all the MDC GD Mamas would never speak to me again! So it has been great reading all the posts, nodding my head, finding the helpful advice. And that...
Yes, it seems clear (based on good studies (double-blind placebo-controlled)) that probiotics go thru in the breastmilk. In (at least) one such study, young infants (under 6 mos) got benefits from probiotics regardless of whether they or their mothers were taking the probiotic. Doing a search on "lactobacillicus" (sp?) and "eczema" my MIL found 4 articles in the Cochran Library (archive of good research, esp for perinatal stuff), all 4 of which found a positive effect...
Thanks for all the helpful info, especially responses to my query. We have already tried a few thousang thing to reduce the eczema, including eliminating dietary allergens and increasing B vits and Omega acids. Nothing has worked. But now we're trying probiotics, no uncultured dairy, and B vits. Should probably do vit E and Omegas too. I have to drag out the ol' yogurt-maker and try culturing my PB 8. It's been a while since we made yogurt, but for those folks who...
Do the probiotics survive freezing? My kids love "popsicles" -- yogurt that I freeze in pop-forms. Do all the probiotics survive in yogurt, or only the lactobacillicus (sp?) ones? If I culture milk with Jarro or PB 8, will I keep all the lovely little buggies? DS is a very picky eater and I have resorted to mixing the PB 8 into ice cream. Sigh. But if I can culture it and make yogurt-pops... FYI: DS's stool quality has changed dramatically since (4 days ago)...
Thanks. Reassuring to think that I am not poisoning the baby! (grin) The second link amnesiac posted has raised another question: My DS is still primarily breastfed. The probiotic I can find locally (PB 8) is not a baby formulation. I had thought that it would be better than nothing. Is that true, or should I discontinue and wait for my local store to have Baby Jarro? (I also wondered if his age -- 21 months -- would make it more acceptable to use adult probiotic...
Maybe you are already doing this... Have you tried, when he wakes at night and wants to play, putting him in a playpen or crib, in a dim or dark room, with toys to play with, while you lie down on a couch or other bed-type thing in the same room? That way he can play safely, you are close if he needs you, and you can get some additional rest. Your sleep will be very light, but it will still help. And he will see, "Oh, Mama is pretty boring at night," and maybe...
Newbie to probiotics jumping in... How do you determine how much to give a baby? DS is 21 mos, weighs about 23 lbs. The only thing I could get was capsules, says take 2 for adults. I gave him half a capsule... --balrig
I just jumped to this thread from Vaccinations/Eczema -- and I have bookmarked all the web sites you ladies recommend for tonight's reading. My DS (21 months) has had eczema since birth -- litterally, he was born with eczema. And I tried eliminating wheat dairy eggs soy nuts fish corn for 2 months -- it didn't help at all. That was almost a year ago. The only thing that controls the eczema at all is Elidel -- and I hate to use it, but (as I am sure you...