or Connect

Posts by mysweetboys

I'm not familiar with touch chat, but I work with kids who use Proloquo 2 go on an iPad, and around here it is almost never prescribed on an iPod because it requires so much more scrolling through pages to find the folders the kids are looking for. I am guessing that the configuration for touch pad on the iPod would also result in more scrolling through pages to find the words she is looking for - would that be frustrating for her? Also, if it is in an arm band will she...
I would be concerned with that duration and frequency, paired with the headache and nap afterwards. I know lots of people do have blinking as a tic, or related to allergies... but it can also be related to seizures, strokes, and other more serious conditions so I would definitely want it checked out medically after what you observed. Hopefully everything else will be ruled out and it will "just" be a tic.
Yes, that is possible. After the first dose increase he actually verbalized way more anxiety than he had previously, which would fit with that theory. But after the most recent dose increase he verbalized far less anxiety, and also showed less obvious signs of anxiety (although certainly we still see signs of it... it just isn't as obvious to others). Then just recently we saw another smaller spike in anxiety, and then became aware of the bathroom issues and a few others...
My 8 y.o. DS is on a fairly substantial dose of Zoloft for anxiety (75 mg), and we noticed a substantial decrease in his anxiety after the most recent dose increase (roughly a month ago). However, recently we have discovered that he has been having some issues that we weren't aware of. One example... At school, they have been having problems with kids peeing on the floor in the bathroom. My DS stepped in it near the beginning of the school year, and his shoe was...
OP here... it is strange to see I thread that I started so long ago pop up. Interesting timing, as we just recently did get another Psychiatric opinion due to another huge flare-up in anxiety and behavioural escalations. This Psychiatrist feels strongly that DS is not on the spectrum, and that the primary problem that needs to be addressed is anxiety. We, as parents, are still not entirely confident that ASD has been completely ruled out and will never be looked at...
So is the teacher saying that she thinks the correct action was taken?? I hope she is just trying to clarify exactly what actions were taken and by whom... I actually think it's even worse someone who is observing and not regularly in the classroom (and doesn't know him at all) took him there.   Lots of schools set up a quiet area with beanbag chairs  or mats, and calming sensory activities in a small area of a room that is blocked off by a room divider or inside a...
I can really identify with what you are going through. DS#1 also has fears that come and go for no reason, and he has severely restricted what he will eat in part based on previous gagging reactions, but also general sensitivities to taste and texture. I really was not sure the pills would be a possibility for him, but he has managed it. However, he doesn't have fear of choking per se. Our Psychiatrist's bedside manner is also far from ideal, which has made things more...
Did someone stay in the room with him? I suppose I could see an adult taking an inconsolable child to another room (whatever room is available) to try to help them calm down if it was extremely disruptive or upsetting to the other children, or if the other kids were "in the way" trying to be helpful. However, I cannot imagine putting a young child who is simply anxious and upset but not aggressive in any way in a room by themselves (especially in a strange...
We just started our 8 y.o. DS on Zoloft after several years of trying other (non-medication) options, including play therapy, counseling, cognitive behavioral treatment, etc. His anxiety is always present, but it waxes and wanes a lot, so it has been easy for us to convince ourselves during the good periods that he is maturing and better able to use the strategies, etc. but unfortunately the issues have eventually come back worse than ever each time. His anxiety is not...
Typically the fisted grip with the little finger closest to the tip (palmar supinate grasp) is outgrown before 3 years of age unless the child has other motor difficulties. This grip requires larger movements of the arm and wrist to control the pencil, which can later on impact on development of printing skills. It sounds like the OP's child has good fine motor skills and drawing skill though, so it is likely not a big concern unless perhaps shoulder or hand stability or...