or Connect

Posts by Eclipsepearl

I haven't been to India in ages. I would recommend visiting a travel website for more information. Get destination-specific tips from people who have been there recently.    Talk to your ped about vaccines. I'm a vaxer and I haven't taken my kids there (yet!) so I can't comment.   Yes, there are pickpockets and you are more of a target with a small child in tow. There are all these classic tips like throwing mud on your shoes and offering to clean it up (for a...
 Would a Ride Safer Travel Vest be a solution?
Just a quick word on caregivers. Often they aren't good about speaking their native language with the child, even when they don't speak the community language. When they're alone with the child, they want to communicate and if the child isn't entirely comfortable in the "target" language, it's too easy to revert to whatever is spoken around them. This is a problem that has cropped up with many who have hired caregivers. Even getting someone who can't speak the child's...
My three kids learned at totally different paces. My oldest didn't talk till 2 1/2 then mixed endlessly. My two girls never tried to speak to me in French. One was very advanced and one, more like her brother but not as behind. She made all sorts of pronunciation errors in both languages.    But none of these held them back from speaking both languages. They just learned them at different paces.    I don't switch to French ever. The kids at school are very cool...
I guess I feel strongly about having the differences between children acknowledged because I think it's easy for parents to think, "Well that approach worked for this other person's child so it will definitely work for mine!" and then be unpleasantly surprised when their results are different from those of the parent next door.  Also I think it's helpful to be prepared for the possibility of large differences in language acquisition between siblings despite exposure to...
I used just a simple stroller "frame" for my infant seat. Like the pp said, I tried not to use it too much, wore the baby and just used this for travel and/or when I needed a break when the baby was sleeping. Mine hated being flat and wouldn't sleep that way in a stroller. Later they didn't sit well in strollers either. They either wanted to walk or be worn.    A lot of my friends who got "travel systems" regretted it because usually the stroller and/or car seat...
  I know lots of these various stories too, especially since I both live in, and come from, bilingual communities with large immigrant and international communities.    What is key is usage. You can have two minority speakers at home but if the kids are answering in the community language, they probably will never be fluent. I see this a lot. Many parents come up to me and say "My child understands everything!" but I remind them that understanding and speaking is NOT the...
further i believe that there should be one language (preferably the one they speak in school) that is dominant.    Not necessarily true but that usually happens anyway. It's not necessary to "make" one language dominant. If one language dominates too much, this could inhibit the child learning other languages.   My kids are dominate in French, by far, but we know a lot of very even bilingual children. For example, we know children whose have an English and a...
That's actually not true when talking about children who attend local schools (and "local" means any school, public or private, which is conducted in the community language).   Usually when someone is not fluent after many years in a country, they didn't learn because they arrived as adults and usually, they moved into a micro-community which spoke their home language. Not to racially profile, but just as an example, a girlfriend's grandparents arrived as a newly weds in...
Yes, it's the end of the story. Please don't drudge up old threads. Thank you!