or Connect

Posts by Eclipsepearl

First of all, languages don't have to be a race. My children speak three languages, on three different levels. It doesn't hurt any of the languages and it doesn't confuse them. Their French (we're in France) is the best, followed by English. They're in a bilingual French-German program at school so they're all fluent in speaking it but the level is far behind the other two languages. Their skills in reading and writing German are better than in English while they speak...
What if you clarified the question, such as "Are you asking where I'm originally from?" or something like that? Then it would highlight the awkwardness of the question.    Sometimes, especially teachers, might be asking in regards to the language spoken at home. You may want to cut to the bone and say outright that your child is fluent in English, was born in the country and has been speaking English (or whatever the community language is), all their lives, for the...
My child is not a "mixed" anything, and to me it sounds like a term applied to dogs. I hate it.    It's interesting to see how a non-mixed mother has already decided how her mixed child should define herself.    Reality is that people will ask and the child might not always want to explain everything. I found that "mixed" was a good, all-encompensing term that avoided more questions. Dogs can be mixed too. Why is that a problem?   Just saying that one is a...
When it comes to schooling, I have my children in a French-German program. I don't really speak German and French is not my native language. So they've learned all their math in German, a language I can't really speak.    I had absolutely no problems switching the languages when it came to school material. The only thing I had to correct was when my son said something like "Ten less seven..." since they say the word "less" for "minus". They do have an additional...
Many families mix languages and the kids end up bilingual. It works as long as the children get equal input for each language. That's not our situation.    Since I'm the only one who speaks English, I did insist that my children, actually only the oldest, answer in English. It was hard because I'm in France with a French dh who can't speak English, in a community where very little English is spoken. If I had done as the pp did, my children would NOT be bilingual...
I'm seeing this late but normally the manual on infant buckets says to NOT use the base on the plane. You install it with the lap belt. 
I fly Lufthansa a lot and I can't say that I've seen any of that. Also, if you checked them as luggage, you have no idea how they were treated once out of your sight.     I was totally allowed to bring my car seats on board myself with Lufthansa. I used to work at Frankfurt Airport and parents did it all the time! The LH personal never touched them.   Also, you don't know if your car seats were really safe. There's no way of telling by just looking at it. No, the...
Two of mine mixed for ages. I didn't correct. I just repeated the correct "version" of what they wanted to say and moved on.   I only corrected in the language he or she used with me (English). I didn't let them answer in French but sometimes they did mix it up or that was their way of asking for the word. Again, I gave them the English and didn't correct their French at all.    She needs to hear the right version and also to figure out which words to use with...
We fly between Europe and California once or twice a year. Yes, the "extra" seat was expensive. You don't need to lecture me on that! But my sanity has a price too and flying alone with three children, the only way to handle them is to have them in their own seats, especially when the youngest was at a crawling and then walking stage. So there's also a comfort factor going on here too!    Also, the cost is a questionable point. You're going to have to pay once the...
Their kids aren't that great at spanish either, despite the fact that their parents only spoke spanish to them their whole lives! They watch cartoons and go to school and play with other kids that speak english and gradually forget how to speak spanish, they just understand it somewhat. When I took spanish class in school, the children of spanish speaking immigrants were the ones with the WORST grades out of the whole class! No joke.   I hear you on this one but this...