or Connect

Posts by annakiss

I originally encouraged the Unschooling forum when I was a moderator. Right when you first started, I think, Dar. This is the only place on the internet where I feel safe posting about unschooling (other than my blog) and the only forum on Mothering I really use anymore.
I did. I told them at 5.
Indeed, the honesty is severely lacking in all books and most blogs about unschooling.  
First of all, I had no idea the thread was still being added to.   Second, Lisa, I fully disagree.   I'm with you.   Finally, this wasn't really about video games. It's about how to be with children. I've recently changed a lot and feel fantastic. Actually, not much has changed on the surface, but I'm cool with where we're at. A lot of my parenting struggle is with the lines between insisting and requesting, talking loudly and yelling, feeling heard and feeling ignored...
Yes. Again, we are in agreement. We joined a homeschooling co-op recently and have some other things that I want us to accomplish and that I think the children are down with. Dh and I also talked about it a bit. And we had the family meeting too. I think doing family meetings - and we also have an allowance, which our only caveat for receiving is that they are active participants in family life to partake in the family money - is going to help us a lot. And of course...
Aeres, you seem to have chosen your side of that coin, so I'm not certain it applies here, but thanks for the input.   Piglet, your children may very well be, dare I say it, just a different ball a wax. And maybe I'm a different ball a wax, but your totally-void-of-any-judgment little play there sounds like something only attainable for those who are naturally inclined or those who are crazy enough to risk a whole lotta time and intention and patience. In the real...
If my children want to play video games all day, when do I cross the line of fostering dependencies? When does it cease to be allowing for autonomy and actively encouraging addiction? It sounds like everyone wants to stake a claim on one side or the other, but is there some middle ground? Because after awhile, I want us to do something else. I want to see others discoveries happening. And it's always a freaking fight. And that sucks. I don't want to fight.   When is...
Fair enough. When times are hard though, facilitating children in finding their interests and living fully seems to become ever more difficult. There's a lesson in there too, but I'm not sure the children are always really cognizant of it or how good it is for them necessarily. Eh.
Aaaahhhh!!!! This is exactly what I'm terrified of.   Like your  husband starting his own business, WCM, my husband has been doing a PhD program (with a crappy adviser) for the last 6-1/2 years. This makes him cranky and exhausted generally, and challenges our emotions on many levels. We've been having a really rough six months and I think that's really affecting our ability to cope and my ability to get through the day. I'm basically a wreck. I've been trying to...
Exactly!