or Connect

Posts by annakiss

Right. This is why this is not surprising to me. And exactly why no one should not teach to the test! It sets everyone up for finding the right answers! They're in the back of the book, remember? My husband teaches at a fairly well-respected university and it's the same thing. These kids are massive over-achieving, brilliant kids who will go on to be hugely successful doctors and engineers and researchers. They cannot, however, critically analyze historical works without...
Well Rivka's post seems to be saying that the "basic skills" learned in school are some integral part of intellectual life, as is advanced math and science. However, I really think that these basic skills are arbitrary standards devised from a time when standardization was key for, well, everything. The current model of education sprang of the industrial revolution. We no longer live under the industrial model.   Many of the researchers on the forefront of educational...
As an avid intellectual and unschooler, I personally think that there's a difference between academic pursuit and intellectual pursuits and don't find unschooling and intellectualism to be mutually exclusive in the way that you are outlining. I supposed I could see there being a bit of anti-intellectualism amongst unschoolers online, but I think that's probably true of most of America these days, it seems. I think too there's a heavy libertarian trend amongst...
My unschooling friends organize both of those. We went to UGO several years ago, but haven't been able to work it out since and the Kalahari thing is too overwhelming for my husband, really, aside from the fact that we really can't afford it right now. One day! :)   Not to shoot down all the suggestions! We're doing similar things here.
My mother said we should go on vacation next fall or winter all together again to the beach. Sounds good to me. I wish I could take us someplace now, but we just can't afford it...
I don't think anything's particularly off and I don't ascribe to a rigid philosophy and do parent more instinctively. It's just that it's winter and no one wants to do anything and everyone's depressed. We've been having a rough several years and are going through quite a bit of change right now. It makes it even more difficult than usual to motivate. Sometimes at times like these, I return to the rigid philosophy and try to think about how to approach it. Usually I end...
Have you looked into sensory issues for your son? It sounds like a lot of the kids I know with sensory issues. My kids are headstrong and hate doing those things, but I can still get them to and once they're there, they're intrigued and enjoy it. They have a hard time stopping what they like or what they're involved in. But sometimes I just pull a mama duck and say, "I'm not comfortable being in the house any more, so we're all going because you guys can't stay by...
Any other thoughts?
You may change your mind. Look at Confederates in the Attic. My (historian PhD) husband is teaching it this semester. I'm reading it now. It's really fascinating and accessible.   I found that my kids really liked when we celebrated Mozart's birthday. What if you did something like that? I just sort of tell my kids stuff sometimes and they listen or don't. We'll watch YouTube videos or read wiki pages out loud. I talked about it being President's Day and we listened to...