or Connect

Posts by annakiss

Unschooling is not part of my kids' identity at all, but very much a part of mine. They just experience it. It's the water they swim in. I don't think my kids have much consciousness of what their lives are like in relation to those of others enough to make it part of their identity. My 8 year old is just finally telling people he "homeschools" instead of just saying "I don't go to school," when asked. If they ask what he does? Oh lord: "play video games, watch movies,...
I'd go easy on yourself! It sounds like a lot. And it's winter, so it's a tough time for all. In my experience, when my children were much younger or when I was exhausted by pregnancy, I had to take simple pleasures for myself. I'd take baths alone at night after dinner and after DH got home or spend time reading. It had to be short and was usually confined to me at home. If you can get an hour or two to browse a bookstore on the weekend or go shopping alone, then with...
It just comes down to this basic question - how can we grow authentic children if we are not ourselves authentic? Modeling and experience are the foundations of learning.
How old are your children? You said you had a toddler. Toddlers, whether you unschool or not, are more time intensive and physically needy than older kids. I only really started getting me time alone without kids when my youngest was a toddler. It wasn't much then. I will say that modeling flow is important for kids too.
  I tend to think that if I'm unhappy with what habits they're forming, it's sort of up to me to provide an alternative that's agreeable. I also just can't move to completely accept that things that I feel are genuine health issues are fully valid ways to spend one's time. I sort of just struggle with it. The games are here. The computers are here. And hell, I live in reality, where I enjoy that the kids are occupied and I don't have to entertain or deal with them...
I wanted to tell you that your post was really valuable. Lots to chew on without the creepy feeling of judgment and whatnot that folks in my position often feel (whether its intended or not!).
I dropped out of high school at 15 to unschool my last two years of high school. I did get a diploma from Clonlara and completed some course work of my choosing. It's a bit different than growing up unschooling. I do know a family of 7 who unschooled from the time the oldest was in 2nd grade. The oldest is my age (31) and there are several others in their early to late 20s. None of us have college degrees, though some are working towards that. I dropped out of college...
The problem with stopping - which I've done before, for long stretches - is that I'm not really comfortable with what happens in its stead. I need to force us out the door or off the computer to make things happen. Even open-ended play, sometimes. I suppose I don't mind that, but it's effing exhausting. I suppose that's parenting. I dunno.
I feel like I am a true unschooler. Most of the things that we say no to generally are really about our boundaries. Sometimes I say, "I'm not comfortable with this anymore." It's really imperfect. I see it as a dialogue. It probably actually looks a lot more authoritarian than my intention or philosophy says, but you know, we deal and work toward an ideal. Eh.
Every year about this time I have a bit of a freakout. Mainly because it's winter and it's hard, but also because we have cycles of stress and depression that come about now. My husband has been in grad school our children's entire lives, finishing a masters, then we moved here, then he's had a couple of major setbacks, I almost died a couple of times, etc. - things have been rough and especially stressful and without an ongoing sense of normalcy, whatever that is. Our...