or Connect

Posts by annakiss

I'm pretty sure that if the worst were to happen, my children would have to go to school. If we both died, their new guardian certainly wouldn't unschool them. I'm not really worried about that. I understand that we wouldn't be able to maintain our ideals because our whole life would be altered. Oh well. It happens. I'm pretty sure I'd be more upset about the loss of my husband than the loss of unschooling and vice versa. Just sayin'.
I don't think she ordinarily speaks about unschooling. I think she brought up issues with equitable access to information and opportunity that unschoolers typically ignore. That's what struck me. I haven't watched in awhile.   I do recall liking that she just said what she thought as though it were perfectly normal and acceptable. She spoke as though what she presented was the obvious truth. It made me not question what she was saying. Of course, I agree with her, so...
My kids hate being taught but love being engaged. I chose option 1. We're somewhere in the radical-ish spectrum. Probably couldn't define it even if I wanted. I've tried lots over the years, but I don't get very far because there are exceptions everywhere. Can't quantify every second of the day into a definition and can't hardly track trends without admitting phases.
Quote: Originally Posted by Gucci&Granola I didn't mean to imply that as your meaning. I was just interested in providing my perspective (as a member of the first generation to grow up with gaming AND a huge achievement gap between the sexes). There is a lot of room for variation and I certainly don't think that all men are lazy or that all women are motivated and hardworking. I don't have a son but when and if I am ever raising a boy I'm sure I...
What is the allure with video games? My sons and husband all love them and there is no way I'll ever be able to reverse the trend. In fact, I couldn't even prevent it. Not that I tried terribly hard. On the other hand, most of the unschooled teenage girls I know are much more into social media than the boys. Or so it seems. I think that the girls demand the investment. They want the connection. Or at least they respond well to structured activites. The boy sseem to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cukup "By the time kids are partway into elementary school and start to realize that school sucks..." You can't call this child-led, when using inflamatory language like this. What happens if a child thinks school doesn't 'suck'...then what? I understand what Kitty is trying to say-and saying it well. You can't call it child-led if you create an atmosphere at home of 'school sucks'. You need to open your mind to the fact...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathymuggle I am not sure I agree with the father interviewed that it is my job to place resources related to interests, at least not to the degree he seemed to take it. Ex - he said his daughter was interested in vampires, so it is his job to find vampire related stuff (even grammar) and place it in her way. I think a little too much of this can be a turn-off. If my DD were interested in vampires, I would not try to...
One, I can't control anyone, let alone my husband, nor do I want to, which is part of why I unschool in the first place, so allowing or disallowing is not the way a situation like this would be addressed in my house. I'm sure that's just semantics and the actual question is "would you trust your dh to unschool?" So all that nit-picking aside, I figure my dh could do no worse a job than I. I'm sure that sounds far less than positive, but at the age my kids are at, given...
Fo shizzle, Piglet.
http://www.nflrush.com/