or Connect

Posts by annakiss

Have you seen the Janice VanCleeve books? She has lots of science projects, but most of them are so darned simple that you can do them anywhere. You don't have to talk about the goal of it. You can just do it. We also collect items that look like they might be good for crafting and make things. I'm big on sticks and rocks and dirt as essential for growing kids. Mostly I just do what I find interesting and they follow. Or don't. There's always lots to cook too, so I...
I mentioned in my interview that I read The Teenage Liberation Handbook when I was 15 and that it fundamentally changed my life, but I think the part saying I dropped out to unschool was left out. Not sure if it was pertinent. My sister made this film and she has hopes to seek funding to turn it into a full-length feature. The professor was there for the other side of the argument, essentially, so he was sort of allowing for unschooling, in a way, but interjecting...
That mom was me. I unschooled, but got a diploma through Clonlara.
Check it out. http://vimeo.com/14975153 What do you think?
Thought I'd reinvigorate this, perhaps. Or maybe this is a stand-alone discussion, in which case I can re-title. At what point do kids stop just playing? I don't mind at all, but the kids just play a lot. When do they start to get involved with more activities and things willingly? My oldest just turned 8. I'm sort of thinking it will gradually increase towards adolescence from here? We tried swimming lessons this summer (huge fail) and day camp as well (minor fail)....
Oh I think it's probably all the same stuff I always have struggled with. I don't really know how to be. I don't know what the difference between coercion and encouragement and the simple stating of my needs is. I don't think that you can necessarily tease it all out when you get right down to it, particularly if you're going to be honest without being one of those naturally gentle and always happy people. Come to think of it, I know folks like that who are way more...
You're right. It's all food for thought. Discipline is one of those highly contentious, deeply personal issues that I always cringe about advice on. I think most folks do.
We limit when I get sick of everyone on and send them outside or off to play something else or engage them in something.
I think it's so funny that I used to post here and everyone was all "that's coercive, you can't do that!" and now I'm saying I refuse to be coercive and getting challenged on the matter. Weird. Violet, that's my attitude already. We do challenge each other. Yesterday was just one of those days.
Some helpful replies, thank you. Yeah, expectation and the wish for obedience creeps in there, doesn't it? Hrm. He actually does do a lot. He puts his laundry away, his dirty laundry away, brushes his teeth, dresses himself, will take his dishes into the kitchen but so far, it's all mostly for him. We haven't seen the leap to stuff for all of us. He has never been interested in doing things together, but he was more interested a year or more ago. Dunno. Maybe his...