or Connect

Posts by annakiss

We additionally use vulva for female genitals. I prefer anus over butt hole. We do say butt though.
I consider charts and excessive praise to be coerced independence, not encouraged independence.
Use the proper word. In the crunchy, AP communities, it's the norm. If anyone asks, then tell them that you would rather use proper terminology than goofy, or perhaps insulting nicknames that are far more inappropriate.
Why is this forum always filled with that zing at the end that makes folks feel crummy about their past efforts, which, incidently, remain unknowns?
Well I do not believe in rewards or punishments and find them to be bizarre solutions for the Gentle Discipline forum, quite frankly. Your snarkiness is unnecessary. As is force or coercion. The first response yielded a good recommendation in changing the discussion. I am fairly certain that even if I did become a total doormat, the kid would eventually understand the necessity of less-than-constantly-desirable work through living in the world. As an unschooler, I firmly...
I have read it, but not in awhile. I'll try the firm expetation route. thx.
First off, we're an unschooling, unconditional parenting household. It doesn't look all bright and cheery because I am myself rather than some contrived version of the ideal mother, but I think we genuinely attempt a family-centered approach with lots of dialogue. My older son is 8. He does not want to participate in anything at all. Not crafts that I come up with, not the garden, not our CSA, not cooking, not picking up, not anything that I can think of off hand. It's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Serendipity I have come to abhor the questions this time of year, it just gets so tedious to answer. My son feels annoyed by it too and thinks it's pathetic that adults have nothing else to talk to kids about. I try really hard to stay in the 'it works for us, and what works for you is fine' category. I do think school pretty much sucks but the bottom line is, I don't want to be judged for our choices so I try not to judge...
Quote: Originally Posted by jenners26 I think Back to School season is the last area I need to "deschool." Because I went to public school, late-August has the same sort of renewal/new beginning feeling to me, that the first of the year has. I can't really let go of it for some reason! Fall does have that sense to me too, but I'm not sure that it's exclusively about school. I've learned, at least, to transfer it. Summer is super busy for us...
Sorry mimaja! Guess I got a little worked up there... Our local unschoolers did do a not-back-to-school beach day last year, so maybe we can join in this time. It seems that as my kids get older, the hoopla gets worse. More and more of the former homeschoolers (those who didn't drop out at preschool) start putting their kids in school and the arguments about unschooling just come to mind. I really am serious about getting into arguments about it though. I mean, I suppose...