or Connect

Posts by eastmillcreekmama

Quote: Originally Posted by kallyn My sister has the tricotillomania (sp?) thing, and I have the nail biting/cheek chewing/pore popping thing. I think the cheek chewing is actually the most destructive for me. I will sit there and chew and chew, and I'll use my hands to get better access to parts I can't reach, and I'll even use my fingernail to scrape off the skin on the inside of my cheek if I can't get it with my teeth. My husband HATES it, I hate...
Years ago I was a regular mj user, daily smoker and such. When I began smoking mj, I loved it and it really helped me with all kinds of things (though I wasn't smoking for mental health reasons). After several years, I had to quit as it was creating anxiety and panic attacks. It's possible it would have been going on anyway and it just heightened the experience, but it seemed each time I would smoke, I would have a panic attack. I imagine, however, it might work for...
Quote: Originally Posted by madrone Everyone I know that lives in a yurt does have a kitchen outside of the yurt. It really is better to do that because cooking creates so much humidity. It is really better for the yurt to be heated by a wood stove that is in the center of the yurt with the pipe going through the tono. Condensation problems frequently occur when it's to the side. Also, everyone I know who lives in a yurt either lives without...
Just a little more support to say that mine did this too. It wasn't such a big deal for us since we have wood floors and cleaning up isn't too hard, but it sure was frustrating. I hear you there, mama. Eventually, I went back to using diapers, and this seemed to help remind her to let me know to help when she needed to go, as she didn't want wet pants. Then we went back to diaper free and we've been there ever since (since about 16 months, she is 23 months now). Hang in...
I am curious to hear more about all this, I just started trying it two nights ago, and it seems to be going ok, though the first wake up last night she was pretty upset when I tried to pop her off. She was begging for mama milk I told her just a little more and then "sides" were going night night. In another minute I popped her off and she went to sleep. Not sure what tonight will be like. Hoping it will get easier! Not looking forward to the first night I say no...
Somewhere farther back on this list is a post about yurt living that I posted. It has photos. I think economically the poster with the RV idea is right on. The yurt or wall tent is a great option, but really, it's just your shell, then you need to install a kitchen, bathroom facilities, etc. By the time we were done with all that, and a water system and power system, we had spent around $50K. But living in a trailer would be tight with 2 kiddos. We have one child (2 yrs)...
We are electrically off grid (solar powered!), but have hard line phone and DSL.
Our off grid solar setup cost us about $11K: we use it to power lights, computer, 24 V refrigerator, washing machine, fans, water pumps, etc. We did all the installation ourselves, so with installation, it would have cost a lot more. I agree with pp about grid tie for a place like New England, with a long winter and short days (I am in California). It's nice to not have to resort to gas generator backup when it's cloudy for several days in a row.
You could grow probably 4-6 cups of wheat or oat groats in your small area. I would recommend buying your wheat berries or oat groats in bulk and focusing on higher dollar items in your garden expansion! Or if you just want to have the cool experience of doing it, go for it! I am going to grow some grain this winter, I'm probably going to start with 3-400 square feet. I'm not sure what it will produce, but I'm excited to find out. I'll write back in next spring when...
I think that if she has a "push-button" heating system (i.e. gas heater, electric heater or the like), then there is no reason she would not be comfortable in the yurt. It is affordable like a trailer, but oh so much nicer, even luxurious, especially if she plans to get a 24-30 foot model. I live in a 24 foot yurt with my family of three. It's a little tight in the winter, but otherwise, is comfortable and beautiful. There is a thread a ways down the board about it, you...