or Connect

Posts by eastmillcreekmama

Hi ladies, I also just started a homesteading blog, for your reading pleasure. http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com I will put the link in my signature line, too. I really enjoyed surfing Down To Earth. She is a fantastic writer!
Begin by finding a nursury near you, either close enough to drive there yourself, or one in your region that can ship you trees via UPS. (Shipping charges are less the closer they are). I use Raintree Nursery, and I live in northern California. www.raintreenursery.com They are usually sold as "bareroot", and are generally purchased in the winter/early spring, and transplanted into the earth then. You don't start apples from seed as they are not true to type AT ALL....
Quote: Originally Posted by TattooedMama So here's an OT/but related question. I will need to buy new canning jars. If you have a "large" tomato garden and are trying to can enough salsa/spaghetti sauce/paste/diced tomatoes to get through at least half a year..... how many jars is that and how much money should I budget for canning supplies? I have canned before, but not as ambitiously or as purposefully as this. To figure this out,...
This is absolutely not a dumb question! You can use this water in the garden, though you do need to be mindful of the KIND of soaps you use. Biodegradable with minimal additives is a must. There are some pH concerns too. We let our graywater out into a pit with mulch, where it takes a little time neutralizing and soaking into the soil. It eventually makes it to the garden subsurface, but we don't use it directly. You can, especially for non-edibles, like shrubs and fruit...
...you are on your way to a wedding and you all have to get out of the car in your fancy clothes to shoo a gopher snake off your driveway so you don't run over it! ...You don't mind your DC going to said wedding with filthy dirty hands and feet cuz she spent the morning playing the dirt with poppa. ...you think nothing of your child peeing in the yard, and sometimes feel self conscious doing it at other people's houses. ...on your way to a meeting, you stop to...
Quote: Originally Posted by herins These were terribly cute to read. My son made up a name for nursing that took me a while to decipher. It sounded like uh-sigh. I finally realized he was saying "other side" because I always said that when I was switching him to the other side. He also said "bye" instead of "no" for a while, which was pretty funny. That's funny, mine has always called nursing "sides" since I always asked her "do you want...
We do a mix of canning and freezing and dry storage. Grid power can go out for a while out here, though, so the freezer is risky. I have a water bath canner, and a pressure canner. Also, we are off the grid, so we don't really have the power to run an electric dehydrator, but it would be nice to make sundried tomatoes!! OR dried apples. This is a great way to store stuff, but I don't know about doing it wiht asparagus, I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it...
Well, I think it depends on how many trees you're talking about, which kinds, what kinds of pests you have, and whether you will really use the fruit or not. If you have a lot of trees, it can be a bit of work. My friend has an 80 tree orchard, and pruning is a serious business in the spring, and takes more than a week of solid work from several people. If you just have a few trees, not so much work, and enjoyable work at that. If you want high quality fruit, you do...
Hi, We went through a lengthy nakey-butt time with DD when she was about 10-14 months. We had accidents all.the.time. Until I realized that wearing a diaper or pants helped her not want to wet or dirty her pants, and helped her show more signals or ask to be helped to the potty. Once I figured this out, we went back to wearing diaper back up, but the number of accidents and dirty diapers decreased dramatically, over a weekend while we were traveling in fact, and it's...
We're off the grid, too, my DD is 22 mo. The only thing that is a little challenging is that sometimes we don't have enough power to do laundry right when we want to. (We only have a washer, no dryer, we air/sun dry) WE have to wait for a sunny day. Otherwise, we have all the needed conveniences and tools, and there isn't any problem. When she's older, we always have enough power to run the computer, fridge, TVVCR (if we want it), lights, cordless phone, water pump, etc....