or Connect

Posts by Thefrawg

For me, I had to fight just as hard for my second VBAC as for my first. The arguments and rationale were different each time, but the issue was the same: who gets to decide what is best for me? the hospital where I had my first VBAC did not make any distinction at all. I was still very risky. And my VBAC doctor wasn't really supportive in the first place, so that didn't help. The advantage for me was that my VBAC was so empowering, I worried less about the scare...
Although I didn't actually get to have my 2nd VBAC there, I had a great experience with the staff at Enumclaw Hospital. It is tiny and out of the way, but they have a pretty good patient centered approach... My doctor was very supportive. My first was at Tacoma General, and I had a hard time with the nurses pushing a lot of intervention, even when I specifically refused. Too much pressure! Good luck finding someone in Oly! Around the Circle wouldn't take a VBAC as...
Not sure if these answer your specific questions, but the data is helpful for having objective converstions on risk... Good luck! I would have done a HBAC if I could have found a supportive midwife too! These are my four favorite resources: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/c...ecs/tolac.html http://www.acog.org/acog_districts/dist9/pb054.pdf http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7505/1416?ehom - shows the similarities in outcomes for hospital birth vs...
I talked about "our" new baby, and how important my son's role would be with the new baby. After we had #2, I kept #1 involved with care and explained how the baby had more needs, but #1 had more priviledges (playing at the park, eating his favorite snack, running, etc) that only comes with age and experience. This has continued to work for us as the kids get older. Now, the oldest has to do more chores, but doesn't have to take a nap everyday, like his younger...
I have had two VBACs. My first was fantastic in its own way, but I was definitely anxious from all the research and well meaning advice. I labored for almost 10 hours. Very relieved to have "proven" myself! With my second VBAC, I was so calm and relaxed. Knowing I could do it helped this time around. I think that contributed to my having such a short labor (45 minutes from waking up to holding my baby!) I was definitely more sure of myself since I already had done...
I know I am late to jump in, but wanted to add, that I did show up nearly crowning with my first VBAC,and it was pretty hilarious, looking back. My hospital did allow VBACs, but the list of required interventions was pretty scary. So here I am leaving a trail of amniotic fluid on the way to my room, about to deliver, and the nurse is telling me to "hold it" because the MUST have their 30 minutes of CFM before they can call the doctor! They the doctor comes in and starts...
My second child was hospital VBAC. I was dialated to 4cm in the last couple weeks before labor, then labored about 8 hours before delivering my son. Showed up at the hospital at 10cm +3, so not exactly crowning, but can't get any closer...!No complications, very exciting for me! Did not like my VBAC doctor, but the choices were limited, and she wasn't on call that day anyway! My third, I wanted a HBAC, but just could not find a midwife in my area who would attend. I...
Just wanted to add that I didn't want to give my dd (8 weeks now) a pacifier either, but when I insist she nurse for comfort, she will over fill herself and throw up on me! It's the only time milk comes back up. Makes me laugh to think about how stubborn she is....She knows what she wants: Me when she is hungry, a pacifier for when she is reflecting on her day! There are times she will nurse, and I will have to give her a paci immediately so she can suck/sleep in my...
My first two were efficient nursers and very independent, so #3 was a bit of a surprise with her AP style. If I am not wearing her or nursing her, she is not entirely happy! I did not give pacifiers to my first two, but did get one for dd at about 3 weeks. Some babies just have that need to suck more than others. I got a clear plastic one, so it is a bit camoflauged when she is using it. I can pretend it isn't there when it bothers me! Have you tried swaddling? ...
I had stubborn flat nipples and used both the shells and the shield. For me, both were very painful, but did help me to get started. The most helpful thing for me was to have my sister help me get my ds to latch, by helping to shape my nipples as he opened his mouth. I would have to roll my nipple between two fingers, like scissors, then back my fingers off once he started to latch. Definitely not recommended in the books, but worked like a charm! The important...