or Connect

Posts by Dakota's Mom

My eight year old has always been very good with math. It was his favorite subject. When we hit mulitiplication last week, he immediately decided that it was stupid and he wanted no part of it. We are still struggling with it but we're not doing well. I think the program he is using is skipping something. They did a great explanation of 3 sets of 4 and things like that. But then the next lesson jumped in to things like 9 X 9. There was no building up to it. I can't...
Quote: Originally Posted by mum21andtwins I have been baking our own bread for several years now and all I use is flour yeast salt & water no kneading thats it. my dough passes the panetest everytime Do you have a recipe for this. I have heard of no knead bread but never seen a recipe for it. I have made bread since I was a child but with arthritus I can't knead it any more so I use a bread machine. Kathi
One thing that no one has mentioned is that school does not have to happen between 8 and 3. You can do school after dinner if you need to. Also reading to all of your day care kids can be part of his learning. Relax. He's little. You can do it. My son is in third grade now and this is the first year that it takes more than an hour to get his work done. But even now we don't do school five days a week. If we get a more fun offer, we are out the door to play. Kathi
I my former life, (Before this child) I worked as a social worker in drug rehab. All of my clients had DYFS cases. All of them had children in the foster care system except the very young ones who only had the one child they had in treatment with them. It was so hard to watch what these foster parents went through. I went to a bonding eval one time. The poor kids had no idea who the mother was. They had never lived with her and had gone long periods of time without...
Illinoisgranny, don't ever feel that your stuff is less significant than other people's. We all have different issues. But to each one of us those issues are just as serious as the next guys. I admire you for taking on a busy two year old. Especially a two year old who has been through so many issues and disruptions in his young life. And you have been there for him for nearly two years now. You have given him so much stability that he would not have in the foster...
This sounds really great. I have seen the Wright On Time books and plan to look at them more closely. It is so important for our kids to have books that do not involve helping them get ready to go to school or dealing with all the problems that occur at school. But a lot of the homeschool books that I find have a very religious basis. Not all homeschoolers are religious or at least are not christian. It would be good to find books that are about homeschoolers and do...
Eight years ago I was much healthier. I didn't even use a cane them. I just wasn't very fast. Even now I only use a wheelchair when we are out somewhere that requires lots of walking. Like next week we are going to a science center. I will use a chair there. Otherwise I spend the whole day looking for the next place to sit down and I can't enjoy the exhibits. I use a cane to walk, especially for steps. I can't go up and down steps without a good hand rail and my...
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. But at least, as you said, you know what to expect. I have said that if my cancer returns I don't know if I would do chemo again or not. It was so awful. But I have this little boy to raise so I'm sure I would do it if I had to. I just hope I never have to face this decision again. I hope things resolve quickly for your husband. And that he tolerates the chemo well. Some people have little problems with it. My son was a...
I recently came across a website that reviews books. They review books about homeschoolers and books by homeschoolers. It's worth looking at. Kathi
Here is a list of CT homeschool groups. You could also join this group. Kathi