or Connect

Posts by Dakota's Mom

I say if they make no effort to pick it up by Thursday, you have a free crib. They have put you through way too much already. You are under no obligation to offer them anything. I am the kind of person who will give back the change if the clerk gives me too much. But if I have to argue with her, I keep it. Enjoy your crib. Kathi
We have used Time4Learning for the last 3 years now. My son is just starting third grade. He loves it so much. The biggest problem he has is paying attention which is what makes homeschooling so important to us. He can get up and run around the building if he needs to and then sit down and focus again. Since all of his work is on the computer, we are adding Handwriting Without Tears this year. We are also adding All About Spelling. Overall it is very inexpensive,...
Do you play yourself? I played when I was in high school. I took lessons for a couple of years. I plan on going to a music store this week and asking for a simple beginning lesson book. I'm going to use that with my eight year old. I have tried since January to find a teacher in our area. But they all want $50 or more for a half hour lesson. So this is what I'm doing to add piano to his curriculum this year.
There are great U-Tube videos for some of the things you want to learn. Also a lot of community colleges offer classes in sewing, cooking, and things like that. Or you can take sewing classes at your local fabric store. I am part of a great yahoo group called hippiesew. The women and man on there are wonderful about helping you out if you have a question or a problem with something you are sewing. Earth Expressions is a great begininng sewing book. And the author is...
We use Time4Learning. If you are only planning on homeschooling for a short time, it would work great. It is all online. If you are planning to continue homeschooling after you get home, it would still be great. We are beginning our fourth year with it. You pay by the month or you can get a reduction if you pay every three months or once a year. If you decide you don't want to do it any more you just cancel. No contracts or anything. I think it's a great...
We use Time4Learning.com. I'm not sure if you would consider it a cyber school or not. But we love the program. All of the work is laid out for you. I sit behind my son to help keep him focused. He has an extremely short attention span. He can maybe do two pages before he is investigating all the stuff on my desk or running off to chase the cat. Then he will focus for another page or two. If you are in a state that requires written reports you can print them off on...
I'm sorry but I'm so tired of people saying that you can't homeschool if you are not a teacher. Did you teach your child to sit up? Did you teach your child to walk? Did you teach your child to use the bathroom? Did you teach your child to sing the abc song. I think anyone who has taught their child the things they need to get through the first two years can certainly handle the next 16. Maybe you don't know everything about science. So you find a program that will...
I have an eight year old who doesn't read very much. We just started All About Spelling to see if it would help his reading. SO far we like it. The thing that drew me to it initially is that they have a one year money back guarantee. So if you don't like it, they will refund all your money even if it is a year down the line. SO I don't feel like we are wasting anything if we end up not keeping it. Kathi
I don't know of anything in Montclair. The only thing we go there for is the Art Museum. But if you have a car, I totally second Funtime Junction. It is great for all ages. And the kids can't leave without an adult with a matching armband. During the school year it is only $6.00 on Tuesday. The snack bar has semi okay food. The Children's Museum in Paramus is fun and has a section for little ones. It can be pricey but if you get a copy of the Parent Pages from your...
We were part of a group a couple of years ago. We met one day a week for 6 hours. Most of the day was in English. But we spent 30 minutes each day where no English could be used. The group leader played organized games during the 30 minutes. About half the kids already spoke Spanish. The other half just sat there looking like everyone was nuts. My son was one of the non-Spanish speakers. He did not enjoy it at all. He felt very left out as the Spanish speaking...