or Connect

Posts by Turquesa

Andreola's book is pretty florid, but it's a fun read. I'm going to tackle Levinson's and then gradually and incrementally read Mason's original works. On the surface, this philosophy intrigued me, and I still intend to give it a whirl. But all of the stuff that I need to learn about it-before plunging headlong into homeschooling all of my kids next August--just seems daunting!
NM. That didn't make sense. I need to go to bed.
On the same line of not owing explanations . . . . I frequently see posts in the vax forums from moms worried about how to explain their vaccine decisions to their providers. What studies should they bring in to show the doctor? What types of things might the doctor tell them, and how should they respond? I disagree with this approach. It's important to understand that these doctors see it as their mission to convince YOU, so it's useless to come in trying to convince...
I think if I didn't vaccinate at all, it would be a no-brainer to get all of my kids' health care through chiropractor or naturopath. A few non-vaxxing moms pop up and want a mainstream doc for regular visits and that's fine, too. SassyFireChick, your posts got my brain wheels spinning. I like to flatter myself and think that I'm above all of those girlie people-pleasing tendencies. But I also think women in our culture have been so conditioned to this behavior that a...
I second the Vegan Stoner. http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/ Heck, it's written so that my kids could do the cooking! There's an idea . . . .
  I tried that and it realllllly backfired on my own stress levels! I'm a small-town girl by upbringing, so quickly switching lanes on a crowded bridge will never come naturally to me. Getting out of it alive and with an undented car is my threshold for success. I did a variation of your idea, though, and put on a CD of this really saccharin New Age yoga-for-kids music. I seriously think it may have hypnotized them. I hope it keeps working!
I keep reading article after article advising doctors on how to "deal" with skeptical, "vaccine-hesitant," or other non-compliant parents. It seems like they're all looking for the Magic Bullet to win our compliance. I'd like to turn the table and allow us to share what has worked best for *us* to deal with doctors. This could be really helpful for moms who are dreading well-baby visits. *All of this is assuming that as much as possible, you want to avoid serious...
 Oh I totally get that. It's just interesting that nobody in the media or blogosphere is clamping down on the condom-free with the same vitriole that their using against the non-vax-compliant.I've heard public health officials admit that you can get strains of HPV, vaccine-targeted or not, by oral sex or by using a condom and just coming into skin-to-skin contact around the groin area. I'm not sure how common this is, but there you have it.
57. Using a public steam. room 58. Working late hours in close quarters, thereby lowering your immunity and increasing risk of exposure to others. 59. Employers who have terrible sick leave policies that compel employees to come to work sick and/or drop off children of questionable health at daycare. 60. Not eating or sleeping well, thereby increasing the chance of getting and spreading illness.
I had #39 as second-hand smoke and then realized that Bronwen had already mentioned it up thread. For the sake of numeric continuity, I changed it to another example. The safe sex issue is a huge consideration. When people not in long-term, monogamous relationships say "what the hell?" and forego the condom, aren't they being selfish in thinking only of themselves and not of the STDs they can catch and spread? I don't hear any of the hysterical vitriole directed towards...