or Connect

Posts by ipeabody

My son has a problem with picking. He is 2 and freaked out about bandages but eventually I had to put one on it. So I bought those kids waterproof bandages that were from the Nemo movie and told him they were stickers. They are really sticky and he isn't able to pull them off on his own. I put it on his face before bed and removed it for him in the morning. I only made him wear it at night to give the sore time to heal, but he ended up liking having Nemo on his face...
Obesity is not just about food. There are many things that cause obesity in children including poverty. Good healthy food is more expensive than crap unfortunately. We shouldn't judge too harshly or without knowing all the facts. Sometimes people don't have choices, either through lack of knowledge or access to resources.
I have a spirited two year old, so I can relate. What saved me were two different approaches, re-framing his so-called challenging traits, and re-organizing the environment. One of the things you can do is try to re-frame his behaviours in positive terms and it helps to feel more positively towards him. Some of these awful 'toddler' behaviours are actually pretty admired in the 'real' adult world. Instead of stubborn, I think of him as persistant. Instead of bossy,...
I have considered that he could have an actual disorder, but at 2 years old it is impossible to really know. We'll have to wait to see till he's older and he is actually developmentally capable of controlling himself. At 2 he couldn't be expected to have the impulse control anyway. So we'll see. I suspect that in the next year or so he'll figure out how to vent that tension some other way. We'll keep trying with the blistex and vaseline, but I guess we'll just have to...
I have a spirited two year old boy who picks at any scab, scar, mark, blemish...you name it, on his body. And he won't stop. I've figured out how to deal with him picking other parts of his body (I put on a really sticky band aid that he can't get off) but I don't know how to stop him from picking his lips. He picks them until they are bleeding, oozing and really sore. They aren't chapped or anything before he starts. It's just a really bad habit of his. He does it...
I guess our stores just don't stock them. I guess people out here don't shop on-line, at least not those coming to the clinics To be honest our Canadian Tire actually even had expired seats on the shelf and only two seats to choose from, and yes we did mention it to them. I ended up buying a safety 1st enspira (I think). It's smaller, so it fits well in both my small vehicle and our mini van. At clinics we don't tend to see too many FF seats period. I think that...
I am in Northumberland County, in Ontario between Belleville and Oshawa, an hour each way on the 401. We just don't see those seats and we haven't had the problem of the 40lb 3 year old in a booster either Our most common issues are rear facing seats weirdly tethered (well meaning dads who weld or otherwise fasten seats into vehicles), or people who want to put their little one forward facing too early. We also get alot of people that buy seats that are way too big...
I have never seen a Britax in the past five years of doing inspections, not anyone at the clinics I worked has owned one. Everyone out here has those huge Eddie Bauer seats. I live in a smaller community, and no one sells Britax. You'd have to drive at least an hour to hit a toyrus or safety superstore. We always read the manual for seats we aren't used to seeing anyway, so we'd catch the difference, but it's interesting that they just aren't used much out this way. ...
I am a qualified tech in Canada and have never seen a rear facing seat that tethers and I've done it for five years. Other countries do have different products though. But from my training, what makes a rear facing seat safest is that it moves in a collision and rocks, thereby protecting the babies body from the impact. If you secure it at the back(head) of the seat, then it can't rock and seems to defeat the purpose of the rear facing seat. But that is just my...
I have a couple of suggestions for things you can try. It sounds like your LO's need help learning to express their emotions effectively. Have you tried playing games with them or talking to them about emotions, teaching them and helping them to identify feelings? You can draw happy, sad and mad faces on paper and get them to identify the feeling and then act out the feeling and talk about what kind of situations cause the feeling. Make it a game and play it when...