or Connect

Posts by heythere heather

So, yes, we've stayed within the regular public school system. My eldest is 8 3/4, and going into 3rd grade. He was reading words at 2, reading books at 3, and reading at least at a 6th grade level in kindergarten (maxed out the test). He reads constantly, and loves non-fiction especially. He's also advanced in math--2 years right now in computation skills, and who knows how much more than that in math concepts. His mind gets math in a way that I can't even...
I have. I Will post more later. Posted via Mobile Device
Quote: Originally Posted by squimp I don't think a potentially gifted kid will do well in any preschool classroom. With my DD, we needed to take her personality and temperament into account. Montessori was actually awful for her in preschool because she is really extroverted and wanted to be with a bunch of friends all the time. She thrived in a high quality play-based program with a fabulous teacher. Not all preschool teachers are equipped to...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 I'm thrilled that DD has finally found a (real) chapter book that she loves. I was beginning to think that it would never happen. (I know, I know, she's only 4, but she's been able to read at a 4th+ grade level for almost a year now, and it's getting hard to find decent picture books that she hasn't already read.) But she read Dahl's The Magic Finger to herself at least a dozen times over the last week, and at least...
We did a foster-adopt in Oakland, CA. My daughter is now nearing 3. she was placed with us at 1 month old, with the plan that she would be placed with relatives out-of-state. That fell through, and since we were a concurrent placement, we were able to immediately begin the process to adopt. It was not complicated, but it did take almost exactly a year. Anyway, in Oakland there were so many babies available. We had self-selected 2 and under, and we received numerous...
I also had very different bonding experiences with my first (bio) and my second (bio). Both are boys, too. My first was immediate and intense. My second... I was happy, but I was so glad that my DH bonded immediately, because the intense bonding was not immediate. It was several weeks before it even started, and months before it felt as intense. Sure, I loved him. I nursed him, cared for him. I just did not feel the same way. So, whether a child enters the family...
We use melatonin for my 5 year old. My pediatrician recommended it. I started with 1mg. I use tablets crushed or capsules opened, because I couldnt' find the liquid. I put it on top of the claritin he takes for severe allergies. After just a short while at 1mg, I took it down to .5mg. It's amazing the difference even that little amount makes for him. My elder gifted son has no difficulty falling asleep. But my middle guy (who isn't as "obviously" gifted as my...
First DS--18 months he moved from crib to twin bed. (we did no rail, though) Second DS--14 months moved into toddler bed we got cheap at a garage sale. He's still in the toddler bed at almost 5. DD--still in the crib at 18 months, but we're thinking we'll move her to the toddler bed when we move in a few months (and we won't take the crib with us).
I don't know how old he is, but when my DS was 2, he stopped taking naps totally. He also got tired at 5-6, so we put him to bed then. Not down for a nap, but the full-on bedtime routine. Then if he woke up in the late evening (10ish), I treated it as a night waking, made sure everything was quiet and dark, and nursed him and he went back to sleep. He's now a month shy of 5, and he still goes to bed at 6pm, wakes up at 6am.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mizelenius I have not read these, but my DD just got several Geronimo Stilton books from our friend (a librarian!) and she loves them. The nice thing is that there are MANY titles in this series, so if she enjoys them, there are many more to read. I don't know the official reading level, but I'd bet they'd be quick reads for your DD. Oh, good add. I forgot about them. My DS loved them at 5-6, and the humor is...