or Connect

Posts by tankgirl73

Shared on Facebook too.
Subscribed and read some posts.  Some great ideas here already for topics!  I'd like to see stuff about early Waldorf education (ie grades 1-2ish) with kids who are "ahead".  I know the traditional approach is to still take it slow, do the whole story and picture for each letter etc, even with kids reading several grade levels ahead.  Which is fine, my daughter loves the letter stories.  But she also needs to be challenged.  Ideas for meeting that balance of not...
Totally echoing what Daffodil said. I'm another who was a horrifically shy kid, and school was TERRIBLE.  First of all, I couldn't figure out what everyone else was doing.. everyone else seemed to know what was going on, what to say, how to act, and I just couldn't figure out how they knew all that.  So 2), I was terrified to talk too much to anyone, in large part because I knew from experience that I was very likely to do something or say something wrong, embarassing,...
Thanks for the comments, but in fact his comprehension is fine -- when he is self-disciplined and pays attention.  ;)   In the past, for instance, it manifested as comprehension without retention.  For instance, we'd do a math lesson, he'd get it just fine, we'd do all the exercises, he was cool and confident and seemed to have mastery.  The next day, it was like he'd never heard of the idea before.     Indeed, we found that what "worked" for him was hitting it...
So my 14yo son (homeschooled since always) has ADHD and Asperger's, and thus has always had difficulty with self-motivation, 'executive function', that sort of thing.  Personal management is NOT his strong suit.  He needs constant monitoring, constant lists, constant checks, constant reminders.  He *wants* to do things by himself, of course, but when he does, he does a terrible job of it and doesn't care.     As he's been getting older and starting to (thank heavens)...
A few thoughts, based on my own very, very busy and gifted 5yo girl.  ;)   - We have one of those loop-loom things.  She is absolutely able to use it.  Her first project needed a lot of my help, but the further she got along with it the more independent she was.  Same story with latch hooking and spool knitting.  We're starting to work on 'real' knitting but that's still a challenge for her.   - Open-ended toys rather than closed projects.  For example, a big tub...
Grade 1 is still very young.  IMO, it's too young for a child to be able to make this kind of decision themselves.  They can't really understand what school is going to be like, and it's usually very different from what they imagined it to be.  This is what you're experiencing -- your daughter wanted to go because she thought she was missing out on something really cool that her friends got to be part of.  Now that she's experienced the reality, she's realizing she liked...
I think for many families, there is a concern that they won't be able to 'properly' teach high school-level courses.  It's also a handy 'backup plan' -- if a parent is concerned that they won't homeschool well, but really want to do it, you can say "we can try it through middle school, but if we're not satisfied with things we can always send them to high school to finish things up."  So they have the confidence to try, to start, without worrying that it's an...
Yay!  That sounds like it went fantastic!  And yes, the end of high school is SO far away, so much can change between now and then... maybe she'll end up going to public school for high school, or maybe there will be other educational alternatives in place for college, or who knows what else, but yes to be at least 'thinking about it' shows that you're not just doing this out of laziness lol...   And ack, it can be so far away but so close at the same time.  My DS...
My girl actually ASKS for cod liver oil.  So it's not like she's just opposed to strong tastes lol...    You might be right about her singing in the music festival.  She's hardly coughing at all.  We'll still play it by ear of course but we're hopeful she'll be fine.  And I know what you mean about talking about how sick she was when she's running around... She missed church on Sunday while in the hospital, and all the old folks at church just love her and they were...