or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

Thank you for that.
Welcome to homeschooling! I agree with many of the replies so I won't be tedious and repeat it all, but I did want to offer another suggestion for you. At the top of this forum is a book list about children who homeschool. During your deschooling period you may want to check a few of them out at the library. I think looking at the way other people learn can be so helpful for kids trying to break from the school mold. They can see it's okay to be relaxed and do...
Family Math It's a series of books with ideas on how to incorporate math into life with adorable little lessons. They have one for younger children and a few for older ones. I think it's a great resource even if you go with a formal program; the activities help to cement the concepts they're working on and give a new way to play with numbers.
We started MUS with Gamma (multiplication). If we had it to do from the beginning, I now think we still would have waited until Gamma to start the program and did Family Math and living math to cement addition and subtraction concepts. I really like it for the most part. We're using Epsilon now and the way it presents fractions is very nice. It's been the perfect program for my son - he gets the practice he needs and the continual support until mastery. What I...
We've had a pretty good success rate by sitting down to talk over a plate of pastries and going in this order: list of what he wants to learn the next year pros/cons of school pros/cons of home And then we go and do the research - checking out the school and matching what they offer to the list. Helping him look at the options again with the new information, and possibly changing his wishes to suit the option he's leaning toward. Looking at how to change the cons...
We've sort of done them but sort of not. I don't give any second chances - no "if-then" statements. It's just an observation after stating the rules 2-3 times, "you're having trouble using this toy correctly right now. It needs a break. When you're ready to have it back, let me know." Second time the toy gets put away I get to decide when the child is ready to have it back again, but the first time they get to. It's been rare that it's come to it but I find it...
Very worth it. My Lyra Ferbys have been dropped, thrown, used to play soldiers...after two years they still look amazing. The chunkiness and triangular grip makes it easy for the littles to use when they come over and the color is bright and bold for my 5th grader's works. They don't break in the pencil sharpener, either, which is a huge plus. $10 for a set, but they've replaced the cheap Crayolas many times over.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonfly LilyGrace, does Writing Tales leave the subject matter of the story to be written child open-ended? I've been looking for a grammar/language arts curriculum to at least use as a guide and it sounds like this might be something he would enjoy. I know he wouldn't enjoy it so much, though, if he were told what to write about. No, it doesn't. It follows the Greek style of learning to write called...
The vocab words are pulled directly from the story. I have to say, one of the reasons I switched to the program this year was because I knew I wouldn't be able to give it my full attention for about a month or two. I needed something that had it all laid out for us and this does. There's a teacher's book, a student's workbook, and the extra pages for the games and such are available on their website so I don't have to try to copy from the back of the teacher's guide. ...
We are using Writing Tales this year and really like it. It's short lessons each day with a two-week study of a short story (fairy tales, fables, and the like). It goes in a pattern of -read story, talk about author -copywork, go over grammar lesson -vocabulary, go over previously learned grammar with vocabulary page -reread current grammar lesson, do grammar study -write rough draft of story -correct rough draft's spelling, rewriting the words,...