or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

We just did a unit on this. It started with me giving The Kid a bunch of Confederate money after he picked the state he was from. He had to use that to pay for things around the home - meals, computer time, etc. We then did different things each day - reading the constitution so he could develop his argument for why he wanted to secede, tearing apart what his history book said (no slaves in the north, for example, or that they had no big farms to need slaves),...
Much as I hate to do it, we're thinking of going to a token system so ds (10yo) can keep track of his screen time and allot it how he sees fit. We're thinking 6 tokens worth 1/2h each, more given if the week is particularly rainy/icky or there's a holiday. It just feels so much like payment to me, but I can't think of any other way that will help him not be so.......addicted? He just zones out and doesn't see anything else when he gets on Roblox or watches something.
Quote: Originally Posted by mrs*kewpie*pie 30 minutes to an hour here. Same here. Occasionally slightly more if he's researching something or using one of the links I have posted in his updated-yearly favorites file: typing, geography, chem help, etc. He does spend about 10 min a day on the Rosetta Stone for school, too.
Camping/survival skills.
We like the activity book, especially the fourth. The Kid doesn't color, so we skip those pages. We use the activity book mainly for the outlines, maps, and hands on activities (the games, the foods, and the occasional science tie in). We don't do everything - heck, I don't think you're supposed to do everything. I think you just pick what fits your kid the best. We like to do history over lunch. Hence, the food related activities help us get in the mood more. We...
This is one area where we can all give lots of answers, but what it comes down to is what resources you have in your area. Definitely check those out and keep tabs on what is offered where. For us: How did you make your decision? Lousy schools + a child who needed more. It wasn't a hard decision once we were fed up. Can you school part time and home school part time? Here, we can if we wanted to. We don't because again, we have better resources outside of...
Every kid gets teased at some time or another. You haven't said how old your ds is, so it's hard to reply. Different ages, different responses. We treat teasing like anything else, telling The Kid: it's not nice (duh!), but assess the situation. Would it be easier to blow it off, not showing that it gets to you? Or is this a time when you need help in dealing with a kid who's doing this repeatedly? Getting him to use various techniques to blow it off has never...
Quote: Originally Posted by theretohere Are you thinking of just using the books for SOTW? A big part of it really is the activity guide for adding depth and comprehension. I have to agree here. When we started SOTW, we didn't buy the reading text, only the activity book. The activities + the reading suggestions were wonderful and we had the library to support it. Now, small library, so we buy the text. I still like it and it's a good...
I've been slowly reading Teaching What Really Happened (the companion to Lies My Teacher Told Me, but how to approach history in new ways). There is a very long chapter about how teachers unconsciously treat students based on what they expect out of them - minorities are less likely to be assessed for being gifted or kept a year back because they're expected to perform lower. It's a lot more than that, and how the subtle ranking within classrooms affect how children see...
We get cheap supplies with our science curriculum (Noeo, also uses living books). I end up buying replacements: hard wooden bead and spring set to build compounds instead of the toothpick/styrofoam they include, a set of baby bottle test tubes.. I like what they offer, I just don't feel that the equipment is up to par. We end up shopping a LOT at sites like Alisonsmontessori and Montessori Services (though usually find it cheaper on Amazon). The one nice thing...