or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

I say go for a bunch of different ones. Have you checked out Shiller Math? It's based on the Montessori model, though their materials are more cheaply made. We've managed to combine Math U See with some Montessori math, too, using the blocks and homemade mats and such. After that, take a look at Moving Beyond the Page, which uses living books (like Charlotte Mason) to wrap their curriculum around. Take a look at reviews, though, because many people find the age...
It's about half and half here. We try not to use too many workbooks to begin with, opting for non-consumables, but some we buy and then do the work on scratch paper. Some, like math especially, we do right in the workbook. It's a cost issue. It's pointless for me to pay $20 for a book and $30 to copy it when all is said and done. We even ordered the consumables separate from the book for SOTW because I couldn't see trying to photocopy at least 120 pages. $10 for...
There is a program called BookAdventure that's run by Sylvan (? I think). It's free and uses the same sort of system as AR - read the book, take the quiz, get points based on difficulty and pick out prize after x number of points are gained.
Tempting to write a thank you note, isn't it? Dear school, Thank you for failing to educate my daughter. Without having become frustrated by your obviously futile attempts and lack of care, we never would have found a program that worked for her, bringing her scores up in 6 months to being right on grade level and even some ahead. Sincerely, Seriously, though, good for your dd!
We have the eyeclops and it is a lot of fun. Hehe, and educational. Last year with biology it was used very often. Not to mention, it was also brought out to look at splinters, cuts, dirty hands.. The only thing I wish it had was a real stand to go with. Having it handheld is great, but readjusting every time a kid moves gets frustrating. It's still one of the most popular toys in the house, though.
We just took two weeks to go on 'vacation'. During that time, we visited D.C. and went to a mostly empty National Archive to see the Magna Carta and U.S. documents of the Constitution. We went to a mostly empty Holocaust museum and let The Kid wander and see what happened. We went to the slightly busy Air and Space museum, took in a planetarium show on the Autumnal Equinox happening that day. We went further south, and went to the VERY empty VA Aquarium where we had...
We did Editor In Chief for two years, but The Kid's total language skills were a mess. He knew the rules, could apply them, couldn't think of them while doing the work. This year we're doing Writing Tales, a grammar intensive LA program. We started with the first book (meant for 3-4th graders) just to see what it would be like. And so far? We love it. It's slow going, covering only these objectives in the first year: -parts of speech -types of sentences -rules...
We clean up as we go along. In order for the next activity to happen, the mess has to be taken care of. It's that simple. I'm very matter of fact about it and make sure there's small, easy to use tools that are child-friendly: crumbers, swiffers, recycle bin next to the art area..just keep it as a matter of course and phrase things positively - i.e. "the books need to be put away first" instead of "how many times do I have to tell you????" (because obviously, I have to...
We have structure here, but it's cooperative structure. The Kid helps pick out curriculum and fill in the planner. I will second the DonnaYoung site. We use her 6 week Excel planner to tentatively fill in what we're doing and make sure we have all supplies, books, etc. for that week. Most of our curricula comes with teacher's guides and plans even though we use a different company for each subject. The only one that doesn't is our math - it's a go at your own pace...
Peeping in from the hs'ing board... Take a look at this link: Sparklebox. The pictures can be printed out like the pp suggested and put on a ring. You can even do one for at home so he knows what to expect when. Visual calendars work so well with littles. It keeps them reassured that x *will* happen.