or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

Quote: Originally Posted by rockportmama LilyGrace-- hope they can go & that you get the care you need! : Thanks. Me, too! Quote: How was all the roadschooling? There's a remote chance we might be spending Dec in Hawai'i. Been researching edutainment, but I'm not sure how many museums/aquariums we'll be able to afford. Hiking and beachcombing are educational! Right? Oops! Baby's waking up -rockport I just...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kismet_fw Have you considered a fair time limit for 'on display' items? Maybe two weeks for minor projects and a month for major ones? Also some libraries have places where things can be put on display. Afterwards, what they keep (or not) would be down to how much they can keep *neatly* in their own quarters? This is akin to what we do. We live in a shoebox so we've had to make up house rules on what can be out:...
Quote: Originally Posted by craft_media_hero How's everybody else's homeschool week going? Ours went by so quickly! We took a week and a half to go to DC/VA, so this week has been mostly recuperating. We came home on Weds. to find The Kid is now hooked up with the Rosetta Stone through our library service. He puttered around on the Italian and Latin classes yesterday and today, announcing that it was "way cooler" than his Latin's Not So...
Quote: Originally Posted by JessJoy THe end result? My brothers were cheated out of their education by my idealistic mom. She meant well, but meaning well is not enough. THe 14 year old "quit" homeschool the day he turned 15. So did the 12 year old. My youngest brother is working at a gas station for $8.00 per hour because that's the only job he can get at age 24, even tho' he was homeschooled til he was 18. His edu is so full of holes that it is just...
We're doing copywork as a weekly thing for the first time this year and my reluctant writer enjoys it. It's a chance for him to work on just the handwriting part of writing without trying to come up with his own sentences at the same time.
We try not to have more than two class-like activities a week. Right now The Kid is in soccer, so that's 3 evenings gone and along with my one and dh's one a week, plus bowling on the weekends, it is just at the right point of crazy for us. No more for the moment. While all the opportunities do sound like fun, the flexibility is more important to us to have so we build our requirements around that. We're not at home a lot (heck, we're not even in the same country...
This is our third book with it. I like it, for the most part. The dvds lay out the material very well and the hands on approach is what my child needed when he started. Even now, when he doesn't use the materials as much, he still gains a lot because of the way the program is laid out : very orderly, stair step progression of each concept before moving to another, so the only time you see mixed material is in the review pages. He is very quick at mental math now and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Eli&SkyesMom Oh yeah, another book I recently found is The I Hate Mathematics! Book It's a little older, copyright is 1975, but it looks like it will be fun. We haven't done any of the things out of it yet, but it has some neat math tricks, games and projects in it. It might work for your DD since she claims to not like math. Good luck to you, and cograts on your decision to homeschool!!! Let us know how things work out, and if...
We did 4th grade math last year following MUS. We still played a LOT of math games! Have you seen this site - Education.com? It's full of activity ideas that make math fun. When we started homeschooling, I made the mistake of buying a popular curriculum when I felt it was time to buckle down. It was a bad idea. It was a poor fit for my son and turned him off math for a while. So when we started a new curriculum, one that he helped pick out and fit him better than...
We do roughly the same as LauraLoo - we follow a three year rotation with projects, notebooking, and discussion along with lots of hands on experience. So far it's working well for us and we use information learned in biology to reinforce chemistry, for example. I'm also thinking about getting this when we start our history rotation again: Milestones In Science. I think it will go along well with one of our supplement resources, The Story Of Science series. That way...