or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

It depends for us. We are taking a trip this next week, but will just be taking a camera and notebook with us (along with a daily math sheet for practice). Sometimes I bring along a book we're reading aloud that takes place in the area, sometimes the trip is the end result of a lot of learning about a subject... It really depends.
We did map reading practice with books like Once Upon A Map (lower grades book) and using the Eyeclops on a pirate map. We break out the Geopuzzles every once in a while to learn our geography through history. We follow SOTW, but the maps there are mostly individual. When we're putting together the puzzle of Europe, for example, we can talk about the stories as we put the country-shaped pieces down adding in other info like where so-n-so lives or where this character...
After my son spent quite a while talking with a lady at the softball game, she and I got to talking and she asked who his teacher was at the local school, since she also taught there. In response to the chipper 'my mom is!' from The Kid and my addition that he's homeschooled, she came out with this gem: Well, you need make sure he has socialization. Lady, you just spent 15 minutes talking to him while he waited in line for his hot dog. He ran off because a group...
From around the house we use a kitchen scale, measuring cups, floor tiles, string, and rulers, plus lots of board games. We keep it simple on the bought manipulatives. Right now in our cupboard (I have a 5th grader, btw) are these items: -MUS blocks and fraction pieces -Multiplication/place value mat to go with MUS blocks. -Allowance board game -Cathedral game (the board goes well with one of the Sir Cumference books, too, to make a perfect castle floor) -Logix...
Honest opinion here...It sounds like one of two things: very new scenario and she's getting used to it, or she's not ready for the commitment of the class. New setting, foreign language...it can take some time to jump in fully. If a few more classes show it's the latter, I'd pull her out and use resources at home for now, re-enrolling her next year if she's still interested. But to answer your question, the best way to show her that listening to the teacher is the...
That's got to be a hard situation. I can sympathize completely - I think I would feel the same way in your shoes. It's like, what is so different? What can they give her that I can't? Is this going to hurt YDD in the long run? Vent away, mama. But privately, and on the glass half full side, I think you have another opportunity here to find a way to strengthen your connection with your ODD - without being in an authority position. And I do think that will make...
Math U See has a worksheet generator - http://mathusee.com/worksheet/worksheet.html I think what you're looking for would be in Beta - that's where they introduce column addition. It looks like it goes up to four digits across. Superkids has order of operations worksheet generators, and a search for general 'math worksheets order of operations' turned up TONS. ETA: for more fun, but $$, you can get books like Math Path Puzzles.
Quote: Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy To those who complained that I'm being too judgemental, looking for problems, and offensive, I'm honestly surprised and hurt. I have no experience with this situation and came looking for others who have more experience, so I can make sure everyone in my group (including this nanny, thankyouverymuch) is happy and satisfied. I can't believe people would judge me poorly for asking questions. Wow. To be...
Quote: Originally Posted by valsblondies Thanks, mamas! I never heard of the caught ya book so I will look into those. Gabe loves reading and creative writing. He communicates well. I guess the question lies in whether he actually needs to know the parts of speech by name or is it enough to know where and when to use the correct words? Well, I believe that they do need to know the correct words, especially when it comes to learning a foreign...
Our only school rule is no electronics until 2pm, except for research and learning aids. The rest are carried over. You know, the beauty of homeschooling is being able to tailor the education to the child. For us that meant doing projects while listening to a story, or having two copies of the same book to follow along with, or something of that nature. It didn't make sense to try to make him develop faster or work in a way that wasn't in tune with who he was. This...