or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

We're three years in, and still don't feel like I understand all the options! I mean, I get a brief dip into them all, but I don't really "get" it until I see it being practiced over and over. That's why I love MDC - everyone here is doing something different and it gives great insight to what those philosophies and styles are like. How many curriculums did you review before you chose one, or before you decided to unschool or go more ecclectic? A LOT. I spent...
I think it'll be okay for your dd to take the class. I don't think she'll get much out of it, but I don't think it'll hurt her, either. Just let her know the ways they present the material and spend time at home going over the same subject. We have a program here that I really like. It's drug education, but the class my son attended was about how to deal with peer pressure and ways to get out of sticky situations, not a "drugs R evil" presentation. It was very well...
We used to sing a song to the tune of Frere Jacques: Today is Monday, Today is Monday, All day long All day long Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Saturday, Saturday. The first two lines you just substitute the day of the week it is and sing together again. This lapbook for Busy Monday Morning has some cute activities, too.
Lots of board games! Yahtzee, Life, pick up sticks, sudoku...I made our own cards for Sorry using equations that matched the normal cards. We just got a game this year called Allowance that The Kid really likes. It's like Monopoly, but without buying property and using small bills and change. The rules are what you decide - we play until one of us runs out of money (I've yet to make it around the board twice!) or one of us has $20. Riddles and story math are a lot...
It's not on the schedule to play here, unfortunately. I'm thinking about seeing if it made it to youtube on Weds so we can watch together and discuss it.
It depends. I think just this year we've gotten to the point where we're doing 6 subjects a day, and that's just because it's a busy year for us where we'll be moving, visiting, and being without books for a while - The Kid needs help in writing skills still and he likes the rest of his subjects (he makes the schedule) so that's what we do. Every day we do Math, Language Arts, Reading, Science, and History, and then we alternate art and Latin, with afternoons dedicated...
The Well Trained Mind is a book outlining an approach to neo-classical education. It's meant to be an aid for the full educational span, not a curriculum. We use SOTW here - one volume for each year over 4 years. We'll continue using the activity books when we repeat (doing the crafts and activities we missed prior), but we'll use more outside resources. Currently, I'm looking at Sonlight core 6 next year to cover early history in a more literary approach. Our...
Quote: Originally Posted by stik I've never considered myself GD by MDC standards, but in the days before I was a parent, I *looooved* _How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk_. It made so much sense to me, and all that empathy worked so well with the kids I was working with. And then I had my own kids, and by the time my oldest dd was four, I realized that offering tons of empathy for her every little moment of sadness or...
Another vote for Math U See here. It's simple, straightforward, and you determine how much and what kind of practice you need. The dvd explains math in a way that is easy to grasp and hold onto.
Hs'ing is a hard transition sometimes. It's a learning curve. It does sound like both you and your son would benefit from deschooling. Spend time just getting to know him, how he learns and what makes him light up. To be honest, what you describe would have been my ds these past two years. Getting him to sit and focus was a challenge - so much so that we didn't. At least not for the bulk of his "work". What was written on paper we translated to full body...