or Connect

Posts by LilyGrace

Quote: Originally Posted by Al Dente I really liked his book on birth order, so when I picked up the one called how to make your kids mind without losing yours, or something like that, I was expecting big things. Nope, spanking within the first 30 pages. Sigh. I bought this at a thrift shop a few weeks ago to see what it was about. I'd heard great reviews, but from non-gd parents. I liked the first part of the book. I did. It was all...
I keep a notebook in my purse. My first comment, if it's a true want and not just a "hey, that's cool!" type moment, is let's put it on your list! The want is still there, it's still taken seriously, but it's on the list to be put off for a gift giving day. When that day comes closer, there's always the fun of paring down the list to a few really wanted items. We also talk a lot about the environment, and how we do our best to keep from spending needlessly or...
Quote: Originally Posted by JRose We wanted to work the religious aspect into this whole process for 3 year old DS (other than going to church that morning) so I looked for a book that told the easter story. Boy, all the religious books were way to adult. Easter is an intense religious holiday to explain to a 3 year old! I came up with nothing so I thought I might write my own....not sure how that will work yet. Tell me about it! The...
Disregarding the last two scenarios (forced sharing/drills), I would have to say there is a big difference between sharing, which is great to model and encourage, and taking, which should be corrected. I see nothing wrong with what the other parents did. They reinforced the child's rights without scolding - which I find to be a different behaviour than pointing out. Scolding is something that is harsh and intended to point out the flaws in the child. Helping a child...
Quote: Originally Posted by lalaland42 If I don't follow her "rules", she melts down to the point I have to leave the store. I have to bring DH with me so he can remove her from the situation because I cannot watch her and buy food at the same time. Last night we were at the store and I accidentally put the cereal on the belt. She started screaming that she wanted to do it so I grab the cereal to hand to her. But, I already had bananas in my hand so I set...
I think the first chapter of Kids are worth it! might be what you're looking for. It's by Barbara Coloroso, and she takes the time to explain the difference between the three styles of parenting - jellyfish, authoritative, and authoritarian, and how most parents are a combination. The entire book is a good, easy read, but the first chapter has a lot of information you seem to be looking for.
You have 4 children. Your dh might not like it, but you getting a job isn't the answer. Just the before/afterschool care for the older ones would make you guys end up paying for you to work. Sit down and seriously crunch the numbers and figure out how much you would have to make if you did go back to work, with daycare, extra car payments, clothes...and then show that to your dh. Moving to a cheaper area might be the only way to do it at this point, moving back...
I don't have a #1 tip. Different things work best at different times. I do have a list of things in my siggy that worked well when my kids were smaller, and the same ideas altered as they grow. I think, if I had to say one thing, it would be define respectful boundaries and enforce them with actions, not just words. I'm not saying retaliate, but simply if I say it's time to put on the shoes, I'm going to pick up and offer the shoe, or put the child on my lap and put...
We use Math U See. Dislikes - the price. But there's plenty that resell the materials when they are done. Likes - the multisensoral approach. He sees it, hears it, does it, writes it, and teaches it. It helps him grasp difficult concepts with having so much involved. I like the simple manipulatives that work well with supplementary montessori work. I love that we control the pace, not the book. I love the non-spiraling approach - one concept is presented at a...
What about giving Colin a visual way of showing his boundaries? Maybe a hulahoop, or a mat, or a baby blanket? Something easy to move around and stand on/in. Granted this won't work for everything, especially if they're playing together, but if Colin can show Matt how close he wants him to come, he might react with that instead of pushing.