or Connect

Posts by granola_mom

I'll be moving to Toronto in July, living on my own with my 4 yr old DD. I'm going to be single and going to school so I am trying to simplify.   I'm starting to house hunt now, and I've found the perfect area for us that is also a bit cheaper than the rest of t he city but I'm realizing that if I want a two bedroom place on my budget it would have to be a dingy basement apartment. If I was looking for one bedrooms, however, suddenly they get so much nicer in my...
Thanks for all your replies everyone. I have a LOT to think about. 
Oh and the list is more for myself than for him. I realized a while ago that if it wasn't for DD, I would be gone in a second! Which, depending on who you talk to, is enough of a reason to stay if there isn't any abuse going on. I have a hard time convincing myself that this is a type of abuse, though- then again, I had a hard time convincing myself that my own mother was abusive and still have a hard time accepting it. 
He wouldn't do anything, maybe just ask me what I have to hide and guilt me.    It's quite possible I have no idea how bad it is, since I went from living with my mother who has NPD, and is extremely controlling and manipulative, to living with him. To me, it is a huge improvement over my previous situation, but who knows. I have never been on my own before.    I was in therapy by myself for many years, dealing with other issues, first my eating disorder as a...
He's an engineer, he knows a LOT about computers and even if I change my password, he hacks in. The only answer would be to change my e-mail to some encrypted system, but that would be pretty suspicious! No, he doesn't respect my privacy. He is of the mindset that couples shouldn't have anything to hide. I am of the mindset that I like some privacy, and sneaking around is controlling. Like he opens my credit card statements when I tell him not to- he says I need to share...
This is my story.   I got pregnant with DD from a guy who I basically planned on having a fling with. I didn't feel any romantic connection, and I got pregnant within two weeks. He decided to stay, we moved in together to try to make the best of the situation. DD is now four, we're still living together, and I am thinking of moving on. It's five years later, and we've tried working on our relationship, even went to counselling- but people keep talking about "finding...
It feels terrible to say it, but for the past few months I have been burnt out on parenting. I don't know what happened but I just haven't been having a good time with my daughter like I used to It's partly because she's been so difficult that I can't stand it, as well as the fact that I'm just bored and uninspired. I used to want to do all these fun and creative things with her, but now I just find most things difficult and boring. I don't know how to get that spark...
I'm starting to get really, really depressed and need some help. I've been a stay at home mom since dd was born, but now I'm having to find a career and am finding it very difficult on all levels. I never had a chance to have a career before dd was born, only random jobs and volunteer work. So now I feel totally lost. All my skills and interests relate to homemaking and I have no idea what kind of marketable skills I have or what kind of work I would enjoy enough to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by kcparker I just talked to a friend of mine who has an MFA in Design and is job-hunting right now. He said this to me: There are as many people working in design today as there are people in school studying it. Do you think there will be jobs for all of them when they get out of school? Hmm, that's odd, because everywhere I look it says that interior designers are in demand.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ola_ But it may be that, for example, if you do the decorating diploma and progress from there into doing design-related tasks, you could then expand what you do to design. In many fields employers are more interested in your skills, knowledge and portfolio rather than what the school's piece of paper says. Yes, it does require certification. You must go to an accredited college in order to become a licensed designer...