or Connect

Posts by Charles Baudelaire

Quote: Originally Posted by Popster My dd is in a Waldorf Kindergarten and I am seeing a similar pattern develop for her. She asks all of the time to learn to read, and why she isn't reading like her other friends. She also wants us to write words down for her to see how they look. I have tried everything I can think of to 'discourage' this process, but it is getting tricky. I don't want to be negative and supress her inquistiveness, but she is...
Quote: Originally Posted by uptownzoo I kind of expected there to be a post to this effect sometime soon. I don't think anyone is actually advocating burning books. I would never, ever burn any book (well, unless a new ice age was coming, and I was trapped in the NY Public Library, and I had to burn books to survive ); it's just a metaphor for what books do you really, really hate. There are a few books that tick me off just seeing them, but I don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by melissel I want so very badly to go TV free. My almost 4 year old is completely addicted, and while she's still extremely bright and incredibly imaginative (sometimes I wonder if not overly so ), she would quite literally sit in front of the thing from the time she wakes up until the time Noggin goes off the air. Of course this all my own fault. I work from home, and only have a little childcare, so I've used the TV as...
Quote: Originally Posted by lauradbg Any childrens' books that are group-created by a corporation or are based on movies: Anything Disney The Hulk Dora the Explorer You get the idea. Not real books. Not soulful in any way. Chock full of bubble-gum pink illustrations. Yech :Puke Need a lighter?
Quote: Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten seriously. IF you believed in burning books (which *i* don't, personally) ~ what books are so horrible or inaccurate or *whatever* that you would destroy them? explain your reasoning. Stephen King's "Desperation" : because the first part made me so sick. i literally had to stop reading it; i was in tears and nauseous. i can't believe people are allowed to publish such graphic, disturbing trash. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by NotAMama But shouldn't you, as a grown up, then understand the symbolism behind it? I don't feel quite as strongly, but I believe it's actually because she IS a grownup and DOES understand the symbolism behind it that she finds it creepy. Particularly if you're at all versed in classic Freudian psychology, the book's symbolism is where it's actually creepiest.
Quote: Originally Posted by kdmama33 In News and Current Events? (It was yesterday, anyway.) I looked and didn't see it. Am I being stupid? Again?
To echo what other posters have said, it's unsafe the way you have it now -- it is NOT designed to be used the way your DP installed it. Middle is the safest place even if it doesn't have LATCH anchors. I'd get this one professionally installed.
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaKat You people are great at showing me other points of view. In what universe is the following appropriate parenting behavior? Yesterday we had a BBQ at our house. DD is 2yo, our friends' daughter is 18mos. The girls had a great time playing together. The four parents took turns keeping an eye on them. We have an island in the middle of our kitchen, bar height, with a granite countertop. At one point the other mom...
Where, I ask ya, where?