or Connect

Posts by Charles Baudelaire

Quote: Originally Posted by chinaKat OK, 75 people have looked at this thread and not one person has chimed in... so, clearly, I'm the only one with misgivings about whether I belong here! I hope I haven't insulted anybody with my musings here. I just feel like half of me is saying "Who the heck do you think you are, lady -- your kid is just a regular kid, stop trying to LABEL her." The other half of me just sorta feels like an @ss for admitting that...
Quote: Originally Posted by oregonbound My hospital didn't let me eat solid food until I passed gas (i.e. farted) so the nurses kept asking me if I had passed gas. That was creepy. Some people I have known have been able to eat immediately, but you have to be careful because you can get really bad gas pains because it can take a while for your digestive system to get moving again. The other thing I wish I had was a belly band. Apparently it keeps...
Quote: Originally Posted by rainy32 Actually, this book is completely anti-union, which is why I won't read it to ds anymore. In it, the cows give up their collective power,their right to improve their lives, their right to communicate, in exchange for a one-time deal from the farmer, who holds all the power in the relationship. the book depresses me no end ... especially as it has won awards for being a model of nonviolent, cooperative communication -...
Quote: Originally Posted by JustJamie Yeah, kids are forced to go to school, unless they're lucky enough to have parents who are able/willing to homeschool. Unfortunately, most kids aren't that lucky - if they were, homeschooling would be considered mainstream. Sorry if this is too OT, but I think "willing" is the real hurdle here, not "able." What we're willing to do, we are often (not always, of course, but often) able to do.
Hi, here was mine: I'd planned on a no-plug-no-drug birth, but at the last minute (I was in transition), they found out she was breech, and I was utterly unwilling to let my idiot sOB try to do a vaginal birth because I didn't trust him not to screw it up. I figured if he couldn't diagnose it, well, he probably couldn't deliver it either. Luckily, the on-call OB did the surgery. They wheeled me into the OR and gave me a spinal block, which made me feel all...
Quote: Originally Posted by folkypoet I don't think Kasey was meaning to rag on teachers. Of course the teachers deserve a treat (and a pay raise, and support from parents and administrators, and and and), but so do the kids. See, I absolutely think she was meaning to rag on teachers, but I don't have a window into her brain -- only what she said in her post. As far as your list of anxieties for kids, I strongly believe most teachers (not...
Quote: Originally Posted by sweetangelbrynlie Okay after reading all the posted I got all fired up. I contacted the principal at home and talked with him. He says to me "weve never had a problem with Mrs. D, she has taught in our school for 21 years and is wonderful with children, perhaps your DD has other issues that is causing this?" I let him know that I wanted something done, I wanted her out of the class. He said he didn't think that was...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathan12904 You could try taking a drink of wine or beer. There is one story in Spiritual Midwifery where a mother had to be constantly drinking alcohol to keep her labor from starting too early.: I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, but I know of women who have had an alcoholic beverage + resting to decrease frequent early labor contractions. But they're *not* early labor contractions. They're BH contractions. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by maxmama If you do decline, and do have untreated GDM, there are significant risks to the baby. But I haven't heard of any hospitals requiring stays for untested moms or babies. FWIW, spilling sugar is utterly useless as a "sign" of GDM since it's a normal variant of pregnancy and not reliable. I have GDM and have never spilled sugar. It's not proof that you (the general "you") aren't hyperglycemic. Dipping pee in...
Quote: Originally Posted by SugarAndSun I'm surprised she was caught off guard. Teachers are pretty used to people telling them they don't deserve anything for what they do and that basically they don't do anything anyway and if they do they don't do it right. You started her year off right.