or Connect

Posts by Charles Baudelaire

Quote: Originally Posted by boongirl , then how do you explain that 75% of Americans do not believe in evolution? . Uh...where did you get that statistic?? I haven't made some kind of exhaustive study or anything, but this figure seems wildly exaggerated to me.
Quote: Originally Posted by maya44 It's not a matter of intelligence, its a matter of people in these professions being more likely to be informed. The people I am referring to ( and lots are Republicans) read the New York Times and the WSJ. They watch Face the Nation and This Week with...Not one of them believes that WMD's were in Iraq. All accept the idea that a major mistake was made in believing that they existed. (The Republicans may believe it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by maya44 It's not a matter of intelligence, its a matter of people in these professions being more likely to be informed. The people I am referring to ( and lots are Republicans) read the New York Times and the WSJ. They watch Face the Nation and This Week with...Not one of them believes that WMD's were in Iraq. All accept the idea that a major mistake was made in believing that they existed. (The Republicans may believe it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by bczmama Maya says that her school system: "Mine turns out those who end up lawyers, doctors and top reserach scientists, heads of corporations etc... You can critisize them or their education but if you took a survey of this demographic, how many do you think would believe in the WMD issue." Is this really anything to do with the school system, or rather than these kids come from homes where their parents are lawyers,...
Quote: Originally Posted by scrabblelover Last week i was curious and told DH to check and see if i was starting to dialate. i'm at 1 cm. We both thought the experience was pretty cool. I later mentioned to my sister-in-law, "yeah DH checked & i'm dialated to 1cm" You should have seen the look of disgust on her face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why??? He wasn't even using his fleshy speculum! Seriously, let's be frank with each...
First of all, did the friends of yours NOT let their kids CIO? Was the non-CIO the actual cause of their theoretical bratty spoiled-ness? I mean, correlation does not imply causation: if that were so, I could argue that global warming is caused by the decrease in pirates since the 1800s, because we stopped having so many pirates, and look here! The temperature's gone up ever since. See? Second, has your friend ever cried? How'd she feel? Did she ever cry...
Quote: Originally Posted by thekimballs Oh, I absolutely agree. But I just can't imagine stopping a kid mid-sentence and saying hey, wait, you didn't back up your supporting argument from two minutes ago. Then don't wait two minutes!! Listen, here's what a discussion in my class sounds like (obviously, I'm extrapolating from a zillion discussions): Teacher: Why did Jack go up the beanstalk a third time? Student: I think it was because he...
Quote: Originally Posted by moominmamma I understand what you're saying, but I had to add this thought. My dad taught university philosophy and critical thinking, and wrote textbooks in these fields, for forty years. He always said "the biggest cause of bad writing is bad thinking." Miranda Your father is absolutely, positively correct. I teach English literature and this is the most succinct and insightful comment defining the biggest...
Ummm...problem is, the questions you asked won't encourage critical thinking. They're good at factual recall, e.g., "What was the climax and how was it resolved?" or "How did one main character change?" but these aren't open-ended questions, or at least they're not that open. To ask a genuinely open-ended question, you have to ask a question you genuinely don't have the answer to: Instead of, "What was the climax?" Why not, "Why did the author make this event...
Quote: Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees A little more on Gardner: From Wikipedia: Gardner's wife, Ellen Winner (presumably well acquainted with his theories) concurs in her book Gifted Children. Well, good for Gardner. My opinion of him has just risen, in all seriousness.