or Connect

Posts by Carlyn

If your dryer lint is from natural fibres, definitely compost! We had our first rhubarb crisp yesterday. It disappeared so quickly! We planted a few more strawberry plants from a neighbour. Purchased some potato starters, hopefully to go in tomorrow. The peas are growing well, about 2 inches tall. My husband is hoping to get some bees this week. So that will be a new sort of food-growing We love honey!
I got eight meals in the freezer this week. Chicken was a great price. I made three different varieties. I still have a few meals worth to put away, but I think that will have to happen tomorrow. I love that you can just put a sauce over the raw chicken, thaw, then bake it or slow cook it when you want it. So much easier than cooking twice! I did Honey-Baked Chicken from the More-with-Less cookbook, and Amazing Chicken and Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken from The Big...
Our peas are popping up in the garden. Less than a month until the last expected frost date. Yay! I asked my family for flowers seeds for mother's day. We have lots of flower beds which have some good perennials, but I would like to fill them in more, and have lots of beautiful colourful flowers. Our tomato plants are doing great under the light in the basement. We have some cantaloupes, pumpkin, and a few different kinds of peppers started as well. Makes me hungry
When I had a version done, my baby really didn't want to budge. He only went a couple inches, and then stopped abruptly - he wouldn't go any farther! And that was with some pretty strong pushing on the doctor's part. I had bruises showing for several days afterwards from it. My baby never did end up turning, but was vaginally born frank breech. We were part of that breech study (10 yrs ago), but chose a vaginal delivery when they told us that we were randomly chosen to...
Suzy Shier is a shop around here that I can consistently find clothes that fit smaller sizes. Old Navy never worked for me, even the size 1's just fell off. Good luck!
I do understand, though we haven't bought a new mattress. It is just hard to spend money (big or small) when you are working so hard on NOT spending much. But you made a good choice, thought through things carefully, and made a wise and needed purchase. Sweet dreams!
I make our yogurt as well, but I think my system is a bit simpler. I just use a bit of my previous batch of yogurt as the culture for the next batch. Maybe very occasionally you would need to buy a new starter, but mine lasts for a long time (several months). It only takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to make yogurt for our family, 1 or 2 times a week. I usually make about 2 litres at a time. Heat the milk to about 110 (I use raw milk). In a seperate bowl, whisk together...
Quote: Originally Posted by FarmerCathy Aren't we all. I see little lettuce that are about an inch and a half tall. I'm so excited! Also little beets. Mmmm... I remember one year when the spinach and lettuce leaves were about the size of my thumbnail, thinking If I would pick all of these little leaves, I think I could have enough for a little salad just for me. I resisted the temptation, and waited a couple weeks longer until our whole...
Quote: Originally Posted by FarmerCathy Aren't we all. I see little lettuce that are about an inch and a half tall. I'm so excited! Also little beets. Mmmm... I remember one year when the spinach and lettuce leaves were about the size of my thumbnail, thinking If I would pick all of these little leaves, I think I could have enough for a little salad just for me. I resisted the temptation, and waited a couple weeks longer until our whole...
We planted a few things yesterday. Yay! Of course, they are calling for possible snow this week. Oh well, we planted cool loving plants. The feeling of having my hands in the dirt was so fantastic! Sugar snap peas lettuce (4 types) spinach beets carrots are in so far. Would it be okay to plant swiss chard seeds now? I haven't planted them before, and I wasn't sure if they would die if they got frosted. We're sure to have frost for up to a month yet.