or Connect

Posts by Girlprof

Thank you guys. To answer some questions, she's three and a half, almost four. I guess 46 months, now that I work it out. She takes dance class, this is her second year already. We did a lot of swimming last year and I want to start that up again. Her delays are things like: -Still takes stairs one at a time -Walks much more slowly and less certainly than her age peers -She can jump in place, but only just figured out how to jump off of something, even jumping an...
Hi Everyone,   I haven't been around in awhile, but I posted a bit in fall 2009/2010 about our daughter. At that time we were dealing with a gross motor delay. We got services through birth to three and she caught up a lot and placed out of the program in summer 2010 at age 2.5.   Time passed and now we have two concerns.   First, for awhile now we have wondered about her hearing. We have been on the verge of tubes several times, but for a long time, her...
Sometimes we ask DS (now 7) to watch DD (nearly 3) while we get dinner or do other chores. Nearly always, DS's choice is to either help us with chores or help us by playing with DD. So, it's just one way in which he might be helpful and part of the family. When he was younger (maybe 5?) we had an incident where he was supposed to be watching her and he wasn't paying attention and she got hold of a small thing-a-ma-bob and started eating it. Oy. We had a long break from...
Our DS just picked out a pogo stick to get with a gift certificate he got for his 7th birthday. Great gift! He's pretty good at balancing and he could do it almost immediately, like in about 5-10 minutes, with some spotting. He still needs help getting started. I had a pogo stick and I loved it. Spent hours doing it. This might actually help your son become less clumsy and inactive - I was not a graceful child (I am not a graceful adult!) but I was so determined and I...
Both kids started daycare/preschool at around 8 months. They go to the university affiliated PS where we both work. DS is in 2nd grade now so when he started elementary school, he also started the after school care program. On Fridays, the grandparents take care of DD and pick up DS from school. Sometimes DH or I take a Friday as well.   We really like our preschool. It's mixed ages with 4 months - 3 years being in one group and 3-5 being in another. The baby group...
We get Ask magazine - it would be good for boys or girls. Actually, the grown-ups in our house like it a lot too. And, no ads!
We started taking the kids when they were around 18 months. At first the dentist didnt' do much - looked in there, counted teeth, etc. We have a super awesome pediatric dentist and both kids really like going now. My DH is actually in charge of teeth and he plays dentist w/the kids. My parents didn't take me to the dentist until I was three and I already had five cavities. I have quite deep grooves in my teeth and so does my son - I think it's genetic. Both kids have...
I didn't see the other thread so maybe this was on there. DS has made potholders the last two years for his teachers. I don't know if he'll manage it this year because it is a fair amount of work. But I think the teachers have loved getting them. It is a zero calorie gift (something I always like!) and they are really pretty. Plus, DS likes making them.
We sometimes have two hour delays and sometimes cancellations, depending on the weather. For another perspective that I haven't seen mentioned here yet - our school system feeds about 1/3 of the kids reduced lunch. They will do whatever they can to get that food into the kids because for some of them, it is their one reliable meal of the day. So, if they can be open, they will do it.   We're lucky that my job is flexible enough to handle the occasional snow day or...
I know. I have such sympathy for this because I am quick to feel bad about what other people have to say. But there are really two separate issues here. Should other people mind their own business? You bet they should. On the other hand, our DD was not crawling or pulling up or even commando crawling at 11 months and yes, I was worried. We did qualify for physical therapy. She nearly always enjoyed it and I really think it helped her. She is officially caught up now,...