or Connect

Posts by Caneel

I serve as a board of director of a foundation and work directly with two other foundations.  I'll give you some advice on what you will encounter when you get to the point of applying for grants.   The first thing any foundation will want to see is that you have 501(c) 3 status.  This take a while so you should start of getting this first thing.  I am working with an upstart youth program right now and they found a lawyer to do it for free.  I was told it would...
 Me too.  Then I saw the absolute joy DS had when he got his first Sesame Street shirt.  It was all down hill from there :) 
~~OP – I can relate to your frustrations/challenges. DH and I used to bicker about food quite a bit. DH was raised meat and potatoes, all from scratch cooking. He must have meat, period. I am far from a vegetarian but would be totally fine with some meatless meals a couple of times a week.   For me, the biggest stressor was that I was trying to “force” DH in to participating in meal planning. He had a hundred other things on his mind and just wanted to come home and eat...
Food (meal planning, shopping, etc.) was by far the biggest issue in our relationship until I decided to stop talking/asking him about it.  I'll come back tomorrow with some ideas, need to get the kiddo from school right now.....
Concerning the rings, I just tried to sell/sold a couple of pieces.    I was told by a jeweler I trust (related to a close family friend) that unless the pieces are really something special (like large, good quality diamonds, vintage Tiffany, etc.), you are going to get the metal scrap value plus very little for the diamonds.  The one diamond ring had a half carat center stone of average quality.  He wasn't interested in that one at all aside from the scrap value of the...
 Yes!  My DH removed himself from his family of origin 20+ years ago but around the holidays, those demons tend to come out of the closet.  He doesn't even realize how he is acting and when I gently point it out to him, he will often deny it.  (But later recognize it and apologize.)  Yep, I have a couple of those drunks/dramas in my life and I probably don't deal with it well.  I don't take my son around it, at all. 
 He was, I never liked him.  I was told about the "gift" just prior to the time everyone gathered around the tree and I spoke up but no one wanted to put a stop to the prank.  This happened 25 year ago and I still cringe at the memory.  The 42 year old me would have told her about it, the 18 yo me couldnt' think that fast.  The boyfriend (who was very outspoken) went after the uncle and there was nearly a fist fight in the middle of the living room.  Fun times......
We transitioned out of giving by "gifting" donations to organizations in the name of the receiptant.  We did Heifer International and I wrote notes about why I selected, for example, a gift of bees for one person, a gift of a cow share for another. 
 I completely understand the above, completely. I know many a woman that feel the same way. A "why can't he get me what I want" thread may be in order.