or Connect

Posts by Caneel

OMG - I thought of another one!   One particular couple was invited to our wedding, the husband half was a business associate of DH's.  I wouldn't go so far as to say they were friends but they had shared a mutual friend and spent a considerable amount of time together over the years.  (Years later, I can't understand why we invited this couple....)   The husband was old enough to be my father and was always on the side of being just a bit too friendly to me,...
I grew up out in the country where most people had sizable gardens, kept a few animals, etc.  I now live in a small college town with lots of cultural opportunities (next to a liberal arts college) and can walk to shopping, restaurants, etc.    Now that I have a child, the difference between how he will grow up versus my country childhood are coming into focus as DH often talks about moving to the country.  DS will go to school four blocks from our house, I rode a...
I resisted a freezer for years.  I grew up with four huge commercial freezers and "freezer management" was always a huge issue.    Once we decided to get meat from the farm, we got a rather large upright freezer.  Because we buy meat by the half and chickens by the dozen, a freezer does save us money.  An unexpected result of buying meat by the half (of an animal) is that I have learned to cook all sorts of cuts and creative uses for ground beef.   The following...
Hmmm - 3 things come to mind.   1.  To save $, we used only one limo, taking the pictures that required most of the wedding party first and sending them ahead while we (DH and I) finished up the photo session.  Our maid of honor and best man waited with us.  As we were standing outside waiting for the limo to return, a police chase ended right in front of us.  The cops hauled two young men out of their car and had them cuffed and facedown on the pavement, right in...
  The current state of affairs in WI does interest me!    
    I recognize DH and I in that statement.  We just talked about this last week.  If we would have stayed in the house he owned when we married, it would have been paid off years ago.  Instead, we moved to a better town and bought a much bigger house when we had no children or need for a larger place.  It isn't that we regret our decision but the economic cost to our wallet made for an interesting reflection on past choices.  
Like others said, location decides the better to rent versus own a house debate.    I live in a low cost of living area (including real estate taxes) and over the long term it is definately cheaper to pay a mortage/taxes/insurance then to rent a house.  But that assumes the household can save for the appropriate downpayment, qualify for a good rate and bduget for future repairs/replacements.  Not everyone can.  I know several families that rent and always intend to...
Did you try your vet's office?  Our vet won't recommend anyone (probably for liability reasons) but is completely willing to allow a posting of the job on the office bulletin board.
I used to be a total news junkie, both TV and print.  Now?  I have really stepped away.  I stay educated on the political issues so I can make informed choices when it comes time to vote but that is it.  I just don't have time in my life for all the drama associated with parties picking at each other, it disgusts me. 
I am sorry for your loss.  One of my dearest friends went through a similar situation with her dog and doing everything possible took over their entire lives and the family suffered as a result - the constant stress, waiting for the other shoe to drop, etc.   The more time passed, the more at peace she became with the decision.