or Connect

Posts by Caneel

It was definately excesssive.  Their lives were their house and keeping it clean, to a fault.  I grew up way, way out in the country and most women were stay at home moms that apparently had a lot of time on their hands to clean house.  No one was involved in playgroups or kid activities, most families just had one car so the women were just at home all the time.  My grandmother said she definately felt the cleanliness of her house was a reflection of her worth as wife...
If you do use a carseat on the plane, make sure it is FAA approved (most are) and that you can show where on the seat it is identified as FAA approved.  I was questioned once by a gate agent (in a very nice way) and he shared with me that some FA will bother to check.  
Don't know why I couldn't comment on my post above...I agree with Katilady.   I think the comment was odd and inappropriate and at 8 yo, it would have certainly bothered me as I always looked older than my actual age.
Where I grew up, I would estimate 90% of the families kept very, very clean houses - walls were washed down at least every spring/fall, baseboards/window sills/screens/wood trim was vaccumed each time the floors were done, which was at least once a week, all surfaces were dusted every week, bathrooms scrubbed at least weekly, etc.  Interestingly enough, I would describe most of these homes as being at least moderately cluttered.  The other 10% were really dirty homes, I...
I also have a cat that will eat all manner of inappropriate things, anything string-like is his favorite.   He had emergency surgery twice and then a third surgery to correct an issue caused by the first two incidents.    Not to sound flip but we simply learned to keep everything he might possibly fit into his mouth out of his reach.  We had to put child locks on the cupboard doors, coats were immediately put into the closet, no shoes with strings or laundry or...
We have gone through TSA security 12 times in recent months.    My experiences -   Not all airports have those new imagining scanners.  Further, at larger airports some checkpoints have them but other checkpoints do not.    Each time the TSA agents were great about DS - not rushing us, making sure he knew where to stand to wait for me, giving him stickers, etc.    At the checkpoints where the imagining scanners were present, DS and I were always directed...
Along these lines, I do think changing economics has definately impacted our eating habits.     My mom’s family was farmers and their food came straight from the farm, they served what they grew or obtained locally.   (This changed after the kids left the house and Pap stopped farming)  Their diet was very meat and potato based and I seriously doubt any of the children were forced to try fish, pineapples, kiwis or any other food that wasn't easily obtainable close to...
Growing up, close friends of my parents had a mastiff.  It seemed like a great companion dog.  They had a small farm (a hobby farm with goats, horses, a few sheep) and he trotted about whenever we visited.  The same dog also went to work with his people everyday at their rather busy retail store.   Our best friend has had two Bernese Mountain dogs.  Both were awesome, mellow and good natured.  These were also "shop" dogs that went to work with him at his store...
If you want to get out an explore, Da Conch Shack is well worth a visit.  It is a restaurant right on the beach, the menu is primarily conch, which they fish right out of the water and clean at a table on the beach.  It is a local institution.   Another place we liked was the Turtle Cove Marina, especially the Tiki Hut bar and restaurant, tables right under the palm trees and really good food.