or Connect

Posts by lifetapestry

I have a PhD in psychology (not clinical) and a JD. I did the regular rank professor thing for 8 years, and then tried a visiting position at a law school when my academic DH got his first tenure track job. I had always planned to do independent consulting (I'm a domestic violence "expert"), and when the conditions of my visiting job changed to make it much less desirable, I decided to go out on my own. I've now been doing independent consulting for almost 2 years,...
I'll start out by saying that I don't think there's anything wrong with frequent night nursers who are 2, 3, 4 etc. But for me, my DS' night nursing felt unnatural starting at around 18 months. It felt "unnatural" not only for me, but for him-- because I felt that night nursing was messing with his sleeping patterns. I think that night weaning is "natural", just like I think that setting limits on nursing is "natural". I'm not an anthropological expert, and I think...
Quote: Originally Posted by Greaseball If he traumatized her, even if it was not sexual in nature, she should not be at the school! No one should be forced to attend school or any other place where there are people who scare them. I think the OP did a very good job at answering this for herself, but I just wanted to add a couple of small points. One is that this would be a totally different situation if the "scary" person was an adult rather...
I've done a little bit of work on the issue of peer sexual harassment (most of my work is with domestic violence victims), and I have to say that I think you handled this beautifully, with the center and, most importantly, with your daughter. I'm sorry to say that the most recent research on peer sexual harassment in grade schools (i.e. children in grades 1-6) shows very high rates of peer harassment-- in some cases, upwards of 50% of girls (and sometime boys) are...
In our house, we do Montessori (clean up one thing before other thing comes out), but this only applies to toys/artwork/etc that he can't get to by himself, or things that we play with in our kitchen corner where the kidsize table gets quickly over run. In his playroom, where everything's on shelves, I will ask him to pick up his toys one time "with me." If he doesn't do it, I go do something else and he continues doing whatever he wants. When he finds me a short time...
My son (who will be 4 in July) didn't say a single word until he was a few months shy of 3-- he said his first word exactly one year ago. He had about 5 months of speech therapy from 2 1/2 to 3, and then just one month of speech therapy when he was 3 1/2-- because his speech therapist determined that his speech was normal. He does fit the "late talker" profile, although his speech development was pretty atypical-- social speech came last. Over the past couple of years,...
Thank you all for your thoughts. It makes sense that this might be a common issue for kids, and large group peer settings may just contain about the most difficult kind of stimulation to cope with (unpredictable behavior from other children, the possibility of having to share toys or people, visual and auditory "noise", etc). AllyRae-- your son acts like I'd expect an overstimulated child to act in social situations, while Noah's response is to try to seek more...
I am awed by your family's generosity. I think that you are giving your niece a very precious gift, to be able to be part of your family for a summer. And I think that you are giving your children a precious gift as well-- the gift of a closer relationship with their cousin. And I think you are modeling a very open and loving spirit about the way that you treat your family members. I hope it all goes beautifully. Karla
My DS, who will be 4 at the end of July, gets overstimulated in school when there is a large group of children present. He's fine in a large group at home (e.g. a party with 5-40+ people), at other people's homes, and out in the world-- children's museums, restaurants, etc. We know that his overstimulation isn't for school per se (he attends a small Montessori preschool) because he goes an hour earlier than most of the kids and there is usually just one other little...
In your situation, I would try a couple of things. The first would be to call the appointment desk at the place where your children receive therapy and ask to speak to the person in billing who handles insurance claims for your insurance company. This person should be very familiar with the situations in which your insurance company pays out more for services. After I found out this information, I would call your insurance company and ask to speak to someone about...