or Connect

Posts by lifetapestry

I can understand why you'd feel guilty, because at least at this board, there are repeated statements that would lead you to believe that cosleeping is best for all children and that parents who don't sleep with their children are neglectful or misguided. But children are really different, as your experience teaches you. Your son doesn't need to sleep with you, and I think that you'd be bonkers to mess with a situation that he is so obviously comfortable with. You'd...
My son spent one night away from us when he was about 2.5 at the grandparents, and my DH's mom slept with him in the guestroom. I wouldn't have minded if she'd left him alone at some point if she was having trouble sleeping, because (1) there was a nightlight in the hall, which gave off enough light for him to go to them if he needed to; (2) he could get off the bed safely; and (3) he's a child who doesn't have any trouble making his needs known At 2 1/2, I felt that...
Quote: Originally Posted by boston You are wrong, lifetapestry. I don't have time to go dig up a happy outline of the patriot act for you, the act itself is like a thousand pages long, or something. I don't know why I bother replying to posts like this or stafl's, above. Sorry, but you don't get to allege facts as true without ponying up some text to support it. Your post and stafl's sound like a headline in the National Enquirer, not actual...
Quote: Originally Posted by stafl but didn't the same homeland security/patriot act mean they can come and search anyone's home for any reason at any time? They can tap your phone lines, and they can keep you in jail without pressing any charges, too. Just because they aren't doing it yet doesn't mean they won't. Um . . . I don't think so. Honestly, you sound a little extreme here. You'll have to provide me with a reference to the text of...
Quote: Originally Posted by stafl How about the ACLU? Or are they too busy fighting other injustices? I recall that the ACLU has been involved in airport security issues for quite some time. I found a link to an old (1996) transcript of testimony before Congress here: http://www.epic.org/privacy/faa/aclu_testimony.html "They have to have PROBABLE CAUSE and/or a warrant in order to search me and my stuff, or that of just about anyone...
Lemon juice is fine for all of those fabrics. If you consider what those fabrics are typically exposed to, I think lemon juice is pretty tame. If it's a hardcore stain, use freshly squeezed lemon juice full strength and canning salt (find it in your grocery store next to the canning supplies, or maybe next to the salt). It's cheap, and no, I dont' know why this works. But mix the juice and salt into a paste, spread it on the stain, put it in the sun until the paste...
I think that one of the best things I have done as a mother is get out of the way of his relationship with his father, squelching my desire to micromanage it and control his parenting. IME, this happened best when I literally got out of the way -- as in out of the house. Go take a bubble bath at a friend's house, or read a book in a coffee shop for an hour, and let the two of them work it out. I suspect that he feels like the "student" in the situation you're...
My son had "silent" reflux as an infant and would do exactly what you describe your daughter doing. What really helped him during those times was to suck on a pacifier (apparently the sucking, without taking anything in, is supposed to "derail" the acidic stuff coming up. He never took a pacifier any other time. So I think it was reflux. I know how hard it is to hear them cry like that, which is another reason why I think it was reflux. Hopefully she won't have...
I agree that article is so over the top. And I also agree that I wish that they would be more specific about what they are calling "co-sleeping." I wouldn't call a parent who fell asleep with their infant on the couch in front of the TV "co-sleeping." My memory for some of the safety studies tells me (I could be totally wrong here) that many "co-sleeping" deaths happened on couches or on unsafe mattresses. For some reason, that article reminded me of someone I knew...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom If you read studies that are not solely reliant of who calls the police you will see that women hit, kick, scratch, et men as much also (I am willing to read and listen to arguments against these studies, especially if they are poorly done but I do not see women/feminist discrediting the this way. They just go it ignores women’s issue. I really don't think this is the case. There is one collection of...