or Connect

Posts by lifetapestry

That is a questionnaire that is really poorly designed. Do you feel comfortable giving the therapist/diagnostic person a call for assistance on what that means? Different therapists interpret terms of "art" in sometimes importantly different ways, and I would think that direct communication would be best under these circumstances. Otherwise, you're just guessing at what the question is as opposed to actually understanding it. Karla
I agree with the previous posters and while I don't see anyone saying that yelling is okay, there are wide differences between different types of yelling. I think one of the key differences is that mom "yelling" as in losing it (e.g. "I'm so tired of having to repeat myself 7 times") compared to "yelling" (quietly or loudly) something like "you're a stupid, worthless child". When Mom yells about her, it can obviously be upsetting to kids because of the tone and the...
We use the same guidelines as mamaduck at our house-- prevention of mess is much better than cleaning up said mess. Also, it places the responsibility on the child to , who is the child who wants the next thing. A variation of this idea has also been successful in our house -- I say that we're going to do a general clean up of the playroom if it's in a state (most of the totally accessible toys are in there, and he is free to plan with them without the usual "pick up"...
The most common place for kids to bite is on the cheek and the shoulder (depending upon their body position related to the other child). And the natural curve for biting being "outgrown" is near 4 years. While I think you can certainly empathize with your daughter (for having her toy taken away), you can underscore that the proper response is to say "no taking my toy away" or "I'm mad that you took my toy away", not to bite. I really empathize with your situation--...
I don't have any knowledge or opinion on the homeschool issue raised, but I do see a lot of value in competitive sports. I think that one thing you are missing is that competition is just *part* of sports; it doesn't define sports. As such, I think it's worthwhile to look at what other skills or values are being facilitated by participation in sports. I was raised in a very competitive sports oriented family. My grandmother was a discus thrower in the first Olympics...
There's "yelling" (expressing frustration or whatever, but words are not threatening or insulting or demeaning, etc) and there's emotional abuse-- emotional abuse (e.g. threats, insults) can be done in a regular voice or a yelling voice. I do not believe that yelling is as bad as spanking, and I suspect that emotional abuse is much worse than both. I do not want to yell, and I've made pretty good progress towards that goal. It can startle my child and/or make him...
Quote: Originally Posted by momto3g3b Anyone who says it isn't possible before the age of 2 is, I believe, misguided. Just as an experiment, you should try reading comments in context before you go off attempting to correct people. My comment referred to the alleged issue involved in the OP's situation -- an infant who is meeting all her milestones except one specific type of expressive language delay. Given that my son was a child who had...
Hey, Marsupialmom, No one has called you stupid or a fool, but you do have a tendency to misreport information and state facts that are just not accurate. Another example of that is your assertion in your most recent post that lesbian relationships are more violent than hetereosexual or gay relationships. That is absolutely not true, but many people find it hard to believe that the incidence of violence is the SAME whether you are in a gay or straight relationships,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom Because these violent men are going to be the ones killing, beating, hurting our daughters. They is why we should care plus they are HUMAN. I am going back to my slavery example earlier. Maybe people should just let slaves stand up for themselves. Maybe we should have just let the sixty’s equal rights happen completely with out white people help. Maybe we should just let people in third world countries...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom Most feminist talk just about violence against women. All though I think it is important to address these issues we also need to address the issue of violence against men. Men are killing men at higher rates than women. I think it we can crack into the clues against male on male violence we will have a major break through against violence on women. Our sons are more likely to be killed by another male than...