or Connect

Posts by lifetapestry

I think that if he had actually been hitting her, it is perfectly fine for her to tell him not to. I have said that (well, not exactly that, but "no hitting, it hurts") to a child who hit my child, and I feel it is perfectly appropriate to say the same if I child were hitting me. I want the child to stop, and unless the parent is right there making that happen (as in, I wouldn't follow a child down the street and say stop), saying something is the only way to make that...
Quote: Originally Posted by ryder Thank you for the replies! We have not flown since she was little and we used the car seat on the plane. The car seat has a harness so we have the option of taking in on the plane. Where do they sell the bags to cover the car seats when checking it as luggage? We have this one: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...43755/117.html It's been on more than a dozen trips in the past 2 years and it's held up...
Mama, I say this as gently as possible-- the reason why no one is worried along with you is because there is no reason to worry. You've done your research on infant speech milestones, I assume, and you're expecting that she should be saying consonant sounds because that's what the milestone says-- between 6 and 8 months infants usually have a couple of consonant sounds to their vowel sounds. I would encourage you to relax about this, because a true speech delay means...
I'm a lawyer but I don't practice (I'm also a psychologist, and I do consulting work in domestic violence). I agree with Chrissy about law being useful even if you don't want to practice; that's been true for me and my career. I finished my law degree in 1992 but I didn't take the bar until 2002 (my son was a year old then). For the bar exam, the main thing you need to do is take the preparation classes. I can't remember the exact timing of them, but they were max 2...
I think your food ideas sound great-- you could offer a "make your own sandwich" tray to the adults that has the fixing for the turkey sandwiches you're making for the kids (or allow them to make sandwiches for the kids)-- some good rolls, gourmet mustards, sliced veggies and cheese is pretty substantial. Two things I did at our last party that were big hits with the 2-5 year olds, and very non-messy: 1) tray with different shaped pastas for stringing, along with cords...
I don't want my son to have to work in college, unless that's something that he wants to do. I think he has the rest of his life to work to earn money (as opposed to gain experience, or buy some luxury like a car), and I want him to spend his time in college learning and developing his interests, inside the classroom and out. Education is one of the top values we (as in my DH and I have) and I think that means, for us, that we have to put our money where our mouths...
Quote: Originally Posted by MotherEarthMom Your not off base at all,sometimes people think that kids have no emotions or feelings,least that's the way my in laws think,it's like kids and animals are disposable and have no minds to them.And I woudn't leave my daughter with anyone she didn't know,I would have a hard enough time leaving her with someone she did know. I'm curious, what do you think that comments like this really add to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by oceanbaby I see it as a violation of trust between me and my child to leave him with someone that he may not be comfortable with. At this young age, I consider it my job to make sure he is feeling okay about the situation before I walk out the door, and sometimes you just can't know that in the first 5 minutes. It's the same reason why I wouldn't leave him at preschool if he was upset. It took about a month, and now he...
Of course she's loving the reaction -- getting big, powerful, big sister to be terrified of little ole' her? Fabulous. I wouldn't want to give it up either I think that smart and intense children LOVE getting intense reactions from other people -- I think that they crave intensity in their relationships from other people. That's how some bad behaviors are reinforced, like with the "play" biting. I would try two things-- one of which it sounds like you've already...
[QUOTE=abac] I believe Cutie Patootie was refering to a situation in which the mother had never met the caregiver. Hard to know if someone's trustworthy if you've never met them. I would definately agree that leaving your child with someone you've never met requires detachment. This thread is not about what caregivers are trustworthy. It is not about the parents knowing the caregivers, but whether or not it's okay to leave children with caregivers you know and trust...