or Connect

Posts by marieangela

When my first son was a baby, I thought I would have a no gun play rule in our house.  As he got older, though, I changed my  mind.  Now, I have an almost 8 year old and a 5 year old boy and they are very interested in Star Wars, superheroes and such.  They started with only having light sabers, but then got "blasters" as part of their Commander Cody and Captain Rex Halloween costumes a couple of years ago.  They don't actually use the blasters very often, but do play...
My dh and I are sponsoring a family for xmas for Big Brothers Big Sisters.  We have two lists, one each for nine year old twin boys.  One of the twins wants an art easel and art supplies.  I'm not sure what to get for him.  We have an easel from Ikea that is fine for my not artistic almost 8 year old and my artistic 5 year old.  My dh thinks it seems "too young" for a 9 year old.  Other ones that I've seen, though, are way more expensive.  Also, I'm not sure what kind of...
I am a bookworm.  I love our library system and use it a lot.  I go through stages with reading.  I had a Russian authors phase when I was just out of college.  I've had straight fiction phases, fantasy, mystery, etc.  I just read a ton of fantasy/horror books-mostly series of the vampire and werewolf variety.  I liked not having to think about what to read next when I had a long series to read. I have  Summer of the Big Bachi by Naomi Hirahara waiting for me at my local...
Both of my boys love their public school (kindergarten and 2nd grade) and I do, too.  The school board is trying to close down the two elementary schools in our district and build a new combined school.  We love being able to walk to school and knowing all of the teachers and the students and really don't want this to happen.  We shall see.
My boys only have two different classes for each grade level.  So, they will always have someone they know in their classes.  My second grader only has two or three children that he's never had class with before.  Most of his friends from kindergarten were in the other 1st and 2nd grade class, but he has made new friends and still sees the ones that aren't in his class anymore after school and at soccer and such.  I'm not sure how they figure it out at our school, but...
My mil is buying Pottery Barn beanbag chairs for my boys for xmas and wants to get a little chair for my 21 month old daughter.  I'm wondering if anyone has a "my first anywhere chair" or a regular sized anywhere chair.  My mil can't make up her mind whether to get the little one because it will be cute and a nice size for now or get the regular sized one because it will last longer.  She thinks the regular one looks too big.  Not sure what to tell her as I haven't been...
Thanks for the replies.  Our 5 year old plays the lego games on his brother's ds.  He doesn't do as well as his brother, but doesn't seem frustrated by it at all.  I've been debating on Mario Kart since it's part of the bundle that I keep seeing.  I had my brother get the boys Mario Kart for the Wii.  Not sure if it makes sense to have it for Wii and ds.  I just came across a Scooby Doo game that he might like.  He does like the movie/tv tie-ins..
Our almost 8 year old already has lego star wars, lego batman, super mario bros. and toy story ds games.  We're getting a ds for our 5 year old this xmas and I'm wondering what games would be good for his age (just beginning to read a little bit).
My older son (8 in Jan) and my younger son (5) are the same height and the 5 year old weighs more.  They are often mistaken for twins.  It is interesting how two children of the same parents can grow so differently.  My husband is 6'4" and I am 5'7".  I figure that, although they are growing at different rates, my older son may just have a growth spurt or two somewhere along the line and end up being tall.  My boys are both healthy and active.  My dh worries about our...
My five year old does like superheroes, pirates, knights and such, but he also likes to build with blocks, make things out of clay and has an interst in science.  I got him some of these citiblocs as one of his xmas gifts.  http://www.amazon.com/CitiBlocs-Wooden-Building-Blocks-Imagine/dp/B0041EKTEI/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1289838215&sr=1-6   They look like they'll be more fun and a bit more "grown-up" up than the blocks that we already have.