or Connect

Posts by mnnice

I would think if you have little or no tax liability you could/should apply for the saver's credit.  This link described it pretty good    http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Taxes-101/What-Is-The-Savers-Credit-/INF15617.html   I totally get that homesteading takes time, emotional energy and money too.  I just spent $50 on the gizmo you need to keep your poultry waterer from freezing.  DH and I also really should buy a small tractor (a new one the size we need...
Statistically if you are 35 you will live another 45 years. I think about this more than most since I watched dh's one set of grandparents outlive their money and we live right down the road from dh other grandma who will be 95 next month. Anyway no one can see the future but it looks better for those that plan ahead.I also have a former housemate that has been on disability since 1995. In her case it is a fixed per cent of her salary at the time she was disabled....
I think you are mixing a couple of issue together.  A good credit score and debt-free are two different things.  DH and I have been debt free since 2007.  We still have credit cards that we use and we still are on the grid and have utilities and cell phones so we continue to have a credit score and credit record.  Anyway in my experience you do not need to owe others money to have a good credit score (although it becomes increasingly irrelevant).  I have found good...
DH should apply for unemployment if he hasn't already.  While being eligible for unemployment if very YLMV situation generally when you are laid off versus outright fired you are going to be eligible.  It would be worthwhile to pursue it even if it ends up a dead end.
First, I am so sorry to hear that you uprooted your family for a job that didn't pan out.     Second, I don't think kids process job losses like adults do.  My DH was laid off all off 2009 and parts of 2008 and 2010.  DS2 was three, four and five years old at the time.  He proudly told strangers that "My dad got laid off." and now at seven refers to it as the "good old days when I stayed home with Daddy"   I get that the free lunch is uncomfortable for you, but the...
I think the whole buy rent thing is very personal and rules of thumb don't apply well.   As a child my parents always rented until they built the house they live in now in 1988 when they were in their late forties/early fifties.  I don't think I gained or lost much by living in rented space.  We had an unusual situation and we had a garden and painted all we wanted.   DH bought our first house in 1998 and our second in 2001.  We lived to see the bubble both give to us and...
Maybe that needs to be a condition of agreeing to the LLC.  It shouldn't be that costly to offer it is funded with your DH salary.  I would think the other partners might want to retire someday too.
While I never went through any testing or formal labels DS2 I can relate. DS2 was born at term (7 and half pounds) but from six months on was tiny (similar size as the OP child at that age).  DS2 is currently 7 and finally shows up on the growth chart (10% for height and 8% for weight).  He was 42 lbs and 45 inches tall at a recent well child check.   Anyway I had an aha moment when DS2 was about 3 and we were looking at baby pictures of DH and his brother.  DH was tiny...
We did something similar more for ease of commute and having a decent family life and less about financial duress.  It worked well for us, but I would be concerned that the OP would not have money for repairs or to handle a month or two of an empty house. 
basically you can   1.  Leave it where it is.  If you like the investment choices and the fees are very low/nonexistant that make sense. 2. You can roll it over to a rollover IRA.  You can only add money to a rollover IRA only if you have more money from another 401k/403b from any other jobs you have had or will have 3.  I would avoid cashing it out if at all possible (unless you are actually retired ;).  You will owe taxes on it as regular income and you will...