or Connect

Posts by homeschoolingmama

My oldest is just turning 10.  I have mini freak outs.  Maybe once a year?  The last one consisted of me printing off spelling lists off of the computer and grilling my children.   I do do some things like math with them but it is because they love it and look forward to it.  I sometimes will pick up a good unschooling book and it gives me more confidence.  Sometimes if I worry I will read a book to them on that topic. lol  They love reading time so this smooths out my...
I personally think it is a good lesson for him to learn.  We have 6 children and they have learned that they don't always get to do what they want.  That is what the world is like.  They can't always have my attention because I have responsibilities.  I can't do a certain something with them because I am rocking their baby sister to sleep.  It teaches them valuable things.  So he doesn't resent her maybe you could be with her while he does things he wants to do.  This...
I love the feel of a good book!  I love turning the pages.  I love the feel of the paper.  I love to get a nice old book and cracking it open to read to the kids.  I do have a Kobo and I read that too for myself.  I also get books from the library to read.  Personally, I enjoy a book more.  My just about 10yo daughter will get a Kobo for Christmas.  I just don't want to rely solely on that.  I don't want to give up paper books.  
Pretty overwhelming in the beginning, isn't it? First, take a deep breath.  Next, figure out what you want.  Do you want a curriculum that is all done for you in a box?  Do you mind piecing it together from different resources?  How much would you be willing to spend?  Do you want them sitting at the table with workbooks for a lot of time a day?  Do you want more of a hands on experience?  Do you have laws where you live on what they learn and when?   I wish that I...
Hmmm why from 3 to 4?  I knew I wanted a big family.  I knew that they are only young for so long and then they get easier.  I planned on being swamped for years and then reaping the rewards later.  Of course there are many rewards now but as they get older it is much easier to appreciate them.  I didn't want to be 50 and look back and wish I had the big family I wanted.  One of my closest friends has 12 kids and she considers my family small.  She says she couldn't...
REPORT!!!
We have 6.  Oldest is just about 10 and youngest is 1. I love having a lg family.  We found 2 to 3 hard because we didn't have enough arms for them.  They outnumbered us.  It doesn't matter how many you have but their personalities.  Our first is energetic, our second is calm and kind, our third is in between those two, our fourth is a fireball, our fifth and sixth are fairly calm.  Once you have 2 it becomes an assembly line.  You already have bath time.  You just...
I also love the name Alaia (Ah-lie-ah)
What about getting to know the homeschooling community and start bringing your daughter to outings.  Or you could meet a couple of the moms and set up a play date with your children.  That way your daughter will see the fun side of homeschooling.  It would introduce the other side of it to her.
It depends on the child but my 5yo can occupy herself if I set something up for over an hour but my almost 4yo can't.  My 6yo, 8yo and just about 10yo can for sure.