or Connect

Posts by aikigypsy

I conceived easily at 39 (twice -- had a miscarriage in there) but haven't tried since (had 2 kids then, husband got a vasectomy). I got my first period late, at about 14 and a half. It seems like it could be a sign that your system is just built to age more slowly (or not -- http://www.mum.org/menarage.htm)
Yeah, I am also not totally sold on the dentist's idea that the night nursing causes cavities, which is why I haven't pushed it until now. The doctor even supports me on that. But these cavities are really bad, and my daughter had them, too.   I agree that cutting out night nursing doesn't make immediate sense for weight gain, but we are desperate here, and two things I read make me think it might be worth trying. One is that sleep plays an important role in weight...
I have an underweight 2-year-old and we've been recommended to wean (or at least night wean) him because of tooth decay issues and also in hopes that it will help him gain weight. I'm not sold on the idea that this will help with weight gain, but we're giving it a try. Also, I think he's ready - all of his 2-year molars are in and he's close to being able to sleep through the night.   The first midnight without nunus was predictably rough, but on the second night we...
Just chiming in to this old thread because I'm facing the same issue. My little guy was born at 34 weeks, 4 lb 7 oz, right on the 50th percentile for his gestational age.   Since then he has been about the 1st percentile on the WHO charts and off-the-charts small on the old CDC charts, which he's now supposed to be on at 25 months. He's 21.5 pounds and gaining slowly, very active and otherwise healthy and up to speed developmentally, if not more. My husband and I are...
Just a note on pacifiers -- my little guy used one from being in the nicu, but not as much after he got home. When he was about 5.5 months home, he got a really bad cold/fluey/sick and didn't want to suck on anything. Forgot to re-introduce the pacifier and he's been without it ever since. As long as YOU (or other caregivers) don't push it once he's home, chances are he'll be fine. Nipple confusion was never an issue for us.
My little guy was born at 34 weeks, 50th percentile for size at that gestational age. He was in the NICU for 7 weeks, though, with apnea/bracycardia (I can't even remember how it's spelled! PTSD!)   The most important thing to do is to keep your supply up. I hear that in some hospitals you can room in with your preemie, but that wasn't the case where we were. Everything in the hospital is so constrained, regulated, scheduled that it's really awkward to do things....
Different perspective: It might be worthwhile to keep nursing even if he's not getting much. I nursed my 2.1-2.9 year old through pregnancy, and through having a preemie stuck in the NICU for 7 weeks. Thanks to her (in addition to pumping a lot) I was able to keep my supply up well enough through having a hospitalized newborn that I could EBF within 4 days of bringing him home. If you have any sort of pregnancy complications which might lead to an early delivery, having...
My 4.4 year old just declared herself done. What we did, is that I cut back a lot, gradually, but the cutting back was very much a mother-led process. At 2, we night-weaned except for going to sleep and first thing in the morning, which had to be redone several times because of backsliding, but probably stuck about 2 years ago. I was pregnant, had another baby (now 18 months) and just gradually discouraged day nursing more and more, especially after she gave up the nap...
My daughter will be gong to preschool for 3 years. Last year, she went 3 days a week to a school I was OK with but didn't love, this coming year she'll be going to a less convenient school (15-20 minute drive away instead of a 5-minute drive) which I feel much more enthusiastic about. For now, I think she'll stay there for the final year before kindergarten (she'll be on the older end for her class) but I'm also open to "homeschooling" that year if it seems like that's...
My baby had some reflux, and this was discussed as a treatment, but we never tried it. He gained well and wasn't miserable, so I didn't think there was any need to actively treat the reflux, especially not with drugs. I would have tried rice cereal before the drugs, though. His digestion seemed to improve slightly after introducing (homemade) rice cereal at 4 months adjusted age (5.5 months after his birth) but at 10 months he still spits up occasionally.   The...