or Connect

Posts by cristina47454

Thanks for the replies.  Just to clarify, when I say "trundle bed", I'm referring to a regular-looking twin bed that is high enough off the ground to accommodate another mattress. Which is not as easy as you'd think! My girls' bunk can accommodate a trundle underneath it, but only if I compromise the headheight of the lower bunk (does that make sense?)   I'd LOVE to do two twins, but the house we're in right now can't fit that configuration. Love the look of that pic...
Hi all.  I don't usu. hang out in this forum, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I have three dds, 10, 8, and 3. We don't "DO" sleepovers - mostly bcs the party invites we've gotten are to families that I don't know at all. My kids sleep at grandma's and at their cousins (usu. we are at the cousins too) but even that I'm not so comfortable with, bcs the cousins are much older. My kids are still very innocent.  We don't watch tv and are low-tech, so a lot of popular...
We need to get our 3yo dd out of our bed. She has outgrown her toddler bed and getting her a "Big Girl" bed, I'm hoping will entice her into her own bedroom.  Plus, we have NO swing space right now when family visits - so the idea is to get her a trundle bed that will double as a guest room for when DH's family comes to visit (very frequently. RIght now it is VERY inconvenient to have overnight guests. And actually, we have three nieces coming to visit mid-July, so it is...
Thanks for the replies.  I was talking to dh about it, and his attitude is that if we give my dad the "extra" back, maybe my dad will feel good, knowing that we don't "need" the gift.  Which isn't exactly true.  Dh and I have unfortunately really been struggling the last couple of years, so a windfall like that would help enormously, so it feels a little like posturing.  But I get my dh wanting my dad to feel like our little family is doing ok.    I don't think we'll...
My Dad is turning 80 in April.  I'm in charge of planning the party but I've been sweating it bcs the party is in SF (where we all grew up) and to fly my family of five out there would pretty much wipe out my emergency fund until our tax refund hits.    He had mentioned at one point that he would be sending for everyone, but hadn't mentioned it since, so I was in the unfortunate position of having to ask him what his plans were in regards to that.   He emails me,...
I'm curious to know how much your sinking fund amounts to every month. Last year I got a windfall and put most of it our sinking funds upfront - it totaled about $7500. It was great knowing the money was there when those big bills came up and Christmas was around the corner.  The reality is, most of our bill come up around September onward (kids activities, life ins., oil heating, Christmas gifts, etc)  This year I really want to pay down as much cc debt as possible, so...
I've been tasked to come up with a "winter" holiday themed craft or game for the class party. Posting this in frugality bcs i don't want to spend a lot of money! We're doing paper snowflakes, but wondering what else might work? We already did bingo at Halloween...any ideas? It needs to be "Winter" and not specifically "Christmas"... There are 20 kids in the class, and most of the games that I've come across seem kind of chaotic and a lot of the crafts seem messy! Or...
Could someone please explain play mobile to me? I'm serious. I just don't get it. Is it like...Little People for older kids? I must be missing something, because I know people make such a big deal about it, but...uh...   Lego I get. You build it and it's cool. And then you play with it. Is there a building component...or is just the playing? Please help me understand.
Paper snowflakes is always a big hit.  So is Christmas Tree campout (sleeping under the tree - ugh, wish I'd never introduced this one lol). Holiday nails (I let the girls choose RED (I am a "light pink" mom) and put on Christmas nail stickers. Sometimes daddy lets the girls paint his toenails which is always a hoot!), candlelit bubble bath, dress up dinner (another huge favorite)...trying to think of others...
In case this helps anyone else...the small bottle of McCormick's crystallized ginger is over $10 a bottle!!! I was going to need two bottles. Well, turns out that in the produce section, next to the dried fruit and raisins, you can get a bag of crystallized ginger (7 oz, so 2.5 x the Mc Cormick bottles) for $2.99.  SCORE. May not be as "good", but I think I'm okay with that, considering I just saved myself $18 that I was going to spend on cranberry sauce! (yes, it really...