or Connect

Posts by Amber_G

I second Ina May's book. I read the 2nd half first and then am now reading the birth stories, an order which I preferred. It's really inspiring to read her words about birth and the whole process. I have not felt scared of the labor process, despite the horror stories everyone keeps telling me, so it really helped to read that book and feel that I didn't have a need for fear.
I have heard that if you refuse the 3 hour, doctors will often label you as GD anyway. I would talk to your doctor. I failed the 1 hour, failed the 3 hour (where they did draw blood 4 times and had trouble doing it with my small veins). I'm now monitoring my blood sugar levels and they are fine with only slight adjustments to my regular diet (I added a bit more protein and cut the refined sugar). Not only are the numbers fine, they are significantly lower than the...
Thanks everyone for your info I've finally be home monitoring for the past 2 days. My numbers are so far looking very good (well below the cutoffs) with only a slight variation to my diet. I've been trying to make sure I eat nuts with any carbs and of course, am trying to avoid refined sugar. But even with a tiny spoonful of sugar in my tea in the morning, the numbers are still fine. And I haven't had to reduce my carbs at all. Frankly, I wish I'd gone the home...
I had cramping starting at about the time my period should have come, up until about 10 or so weeks. The doctors were really concerned but it was just an ovarian cyst that went away by itself. So, cramping isn't always the worst thing in the world. You should start taking prenatal vitamins too, I don't think anyone mentioned that yet
I'd talk to your doctor about it. See if you can move the ultrasound up if you (or your hubsand) just can't make it. At 19 weeks, I had complete placenta previa and had the same no sex (also no orgasm) restriction. But at 25 weeks, my placenta was only low lying. We're still restricted from sex, the next ultrasound is a few weeks from now, but my doctor did say if things were really bad she could change the dates and make it sooner. I decided we'd be ok, but I really...
Thanks for the reply You sent me in the right direction on what to think about and what I need to ask my doctor. I'll see my doctor this next week and probably the dietician too if they ever call to set up an appointment. I'm quite curious to see what my numbers will be like on daily testing. I rarely drink soda or fruit juice due to a bladder condition, so I don't think my body was prepared to deal with that much sugar. I'm finally feeling better about all of...
Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of reading on this - unfortunately I did it after I failed the 1 hour test. Wish I had educated myself BEFORE the test but it's too late now. Unfortunately from reading the articles and my state of mind, I still can't figure out what kind of questions I should be asking. That sounds rough, glad everything was ok We spent 3 weeks not knowing if the baby had a malformed head or not (which is a sign of spina bifida). That was...
After the 3 hour lab test, they are diagnosing me with gestational diabetes. My fasting number was fine, but my one hour was 185, 2 hour 174 and 3 hour 150. By all charts, I failed the test. I'm upset as I eat a pretty good diet and I've exercised throughout this pregnancy. I suspect the dietician is going to tell me to cut carbs - I eat a lot of bread (whole grains) and fruit. I could stand to cut out the sugar (which is not excessive, but there). I'm on the smaller...
I was not aware of the issues around the GD 1 hour test and I think I would have refused it had I educated myself. I did not pass the one hour and just today had to do the 3 hour test. I read very different accounts of how much one should fast before the 1 hour. I didn't eat anything overnight, but many women (see the Sept. due date forum) were told to eat a big breakfast high in protein 2 hours, or even 1 hour before the test. I can't see how the test would have a...