or Connect

Posts by Elzabet

Star Wars?!? Our pastor likes to use Star Wars references in his sermons. But that reminds me of a friend who told me I had to get rid of my sci-fi/fantasy library after I converted. : Yeah, like that was going to happen.
Quote: Originally posted by pammysue My DH is a very conservative pastor who- GASP -plays role playing games! And many Christians, including my normally open-minded parents, don't get this. They have been led to believe all RPGs are of the devil, without knowing anything about them. Of course, anything can be taken to an extreme and sometimes RPGs are. But not my with DH or his friends. In fact DH's RPG friends are the most intelligent down-to-earth people...
The two are connected but the accouts of Jesus' 40 days in the desert (Matthew 4, Luke 4, Mark 1) all place the temptation of Jesus at the beginning of His ministry. Good Friday is the day of the crucifixtion and Easter Sunday His resurrection. Forty days is a traditional number of discipline, devotion, and preparation in the Bible: Moses stayed on the Mountain of God forty days (Exodus 24:18 and 34:28), the spies were in the land for forty days (Numbers 13:25), Elijah...
:LOL Why not??? Anyone you love is beautiful to you!
Quote: Originally posted by tereson He did fast in the dessert for 40 days before he was given up to death and was tested for those 40 days. Now, I don't know about you, but if I had fasted, prayed and had face to face conflicts by the devil I think I would look pretty frail at that point too. I've always understood that Jesus' 40 day fast was at the beginning of His ministry, after His baptism by John not at the end. That's a good three years...
I think it's the same thing as when Pokemon came out. There was all this stuff about how Pokemon was the same as tarot and blah blah blah. Everyone I heard harping on the subject knew nothing about it--they hadn't even bothered to watch the cartoon--and got all the details wrong. Now they just have something new to harp on. Personal opinion: anything can be taken to an extreme but to attribute children's imaginative play to "being taken over by demons residing in the...
Because a lot of evangelicals don't know anything about catholicism they listen to half-truth and assume catholics don't know Jesus and therefore will be going to hell. It's ignorance, sometimes willful sometimes not.
Quote: Originally posted by dado that link just might do it, thank you! it's a little sad that even in nominally christian america it is easier for me to find a welcoming Sufi than a welcoming c'ian mystic! which is where the non-evangalizing requirement comes from: i understand c'ians believe they are acting out of love, but to a non-c'ian evangalizing is anything but welcoming. ETA: there is a huge difference between sharing the message of the...
Try this site Dado:Christian Mystics. The home page has this on the front: Quote: Imagine you're invited to a dinner table where you'll join the great Christian Mystics, traditional and contemporary. George Fox from the Quakers is there, as are Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Isaac of Syria, C.S. Lewis and Bede Griffiths. You catch sight of Meister Eckhart and -- is that St. Paul chatting it up with Emerson? (We can assume Brother Lawrence is...
I asked dh and he suggested checking out Calvinist charismatics. As far as he knows Calvinists do not evangelize because they are predestinationists.