or Connect

Posts by Elzabet

Quote: Originally posted by DaryLLL I'm confused on one point here. Do Catholics believe dead humans are already resurrected in heaven? I have heard that some Xtians (Cath or not I do not know) believe dead humans are dead until the End of Days when all willl be resurrected, judged and either taken up to heaven or banished to hell. And what about purgatory? I could see formally recognized saints getting a get into heaven free card and being there,...
Quote: Originally posted by barbara Can you elaborate on what Santeria is? I found this site with a definition of santeriaand it was pretty helpful. I thought it was another name for voodoo/voudou/voudoun (pick a spelling). Quote: Santeria is a syncretistic religion of Caribbean origin. It incorporates the worship of the Orisha (literally "head guardian") and beliefs of the Yoruba and Bantu people in Southern Nigeria, Senegal and...
By "through" what most catholics mean is they ask someone to pray for them. When I ask, for example, my MIL (who is alive) or my mom (who is in Heaven) to pray for me I'm not "praying to" either of them in the same sense that I am praying to God. I'm not worshipping either of them but I am asking them to join with me in asking God for . Afterward I say thank you.
Quote: Originally posted by Piglet68 Here in the US there is a different christian congregation on every corner. There is also a huge fundamentalist movement. I believe it is they who do the name calling, since they seem to be into the whole "I'm more Christian than you" mindset. New churches pop up like mushrooms after a rain around here. Everytime I look up, another one of those silly signs with some odd name is posted on a corner someplace. Not...
Are Catholics Christian? Hmm. Most of the ones I know are. Are Protestants/non-Catholics/non-Orthodoxs christian? Most of the ones I know are. I also know some of each flavor that aren't. They go to church, they go through the motions, but they are no more a Christian than I am a car just when I'm sitting in my garage. By the way, none of the Catholics I know worship saints nor statues. But then again none of the ones I know are sola scriptura either. That's just not a...
Quote: Originally posted by DaryLLL Thanks, Elzabet, that was cool! Could you do me a favor and edit and add the pericopes into your discussion of their meaning? Please. That would be clearer. Could everybody else that bothers to discuss their fondness for their lines also do that? Thanks. Do not mean to be demanding, just that it would make it all clearer! Sure...One question...Do what now? :
How about the story of Samuel? (I've not read all the posts yet so please excuse me if I repeat this ) 1 Samuel 1:21-24 When the man Elkanah went up with all his family to offer the annual sacrifice to the LORD and to fulfill his vow, Hannah did not go. She said to her husband, "After the boy is weaned, I will take him and present him before the LORD , and he will live there always." "Do what seems best to you," Elkanah her husband told her. "Stay here until you...
Quote: Originally posted by DaryLLL I do wish more of you would say why you like the passages you do. That would make the thread even more interesting. The first and third passages I listed both speak to me about my tendency to stray and disbelieve/doubt. The first about my tendency to disbelieve and doubt. I know we all have it and it's not a "bad" thing if it leads my questioning to a deeper knowledge of God, but if not (and I get into my usual...
I have 3: Luke 1:45 "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" Song of Solomon 2:3 "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my lover among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste." (I sign cards to dh with the second. ) Revelation 2:5 "Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come...
Here's the link to the entire article.