or Connect

Posts by taubel

I'm not sure this is the best board to ask this question, but I have gotten excellent advice on here so far.   We are in the midst of negotiating to buy a home and will then be planning to put ours on the market.    We have worked with the same real estate agent for many years (he helped us buy the house we now own). He has always worked for a nationally recognized broker.   Today he informed us that he will be starting his own real estate business. I suppose...
Don't have time for a well thought out reply, but I just wanted to let you know that your DS sounds very much like mine. My DS (now 10.5) was diagnosed with mild Aspergers and ADD at the age of 3.5, by a dev. ped. We first took him in at 3, but the dev. ped. would not give him a diagnosis. We did EI, and then he has been receiving services though the school district since K'garten.   He is still not very social with peers, but he is doing GREAT in every other...
We have a strict no-shoes rule in our house. We had the same problem, with three kids taking their shoes off in our living room (no mud room or porch) and getting dirt everywhere. So now I make them take their shoes off outside on our front steps.   Then I go out and bang all the dirt out of the treads before taking the shoes inside and placing them on the boot tray (so they don't get wet if it rains). This also helps keep more dirt from falling out of the shoes when...
I just started budgeting $200/month for home repairs/improvements. This doesn't seem like enough, but it's all we can afford at this point. It's enough for something minor, like a clogged drain, but it would take us several years to save up for a new roof or something along those lines.   I plan to save up this money and use it for any necessary repairs as they come up. We don't really have any improvements planned at this point, other than painting and prepping to...
Well, we decided not to hand down the Keens. I'll keep some extras around in case of an emergency (or if we're ever in a really tough financial situation), but I bought them each a new pair for the spring/summer. They do wear them daily, and they are very active! We will continue to hand down dress shoes and snow boots, since those don't get as much wear.   Thanks everyone who responded. It's interesting to hear what everyone else does!  
Thanks for everyone's advice! I did contact our town's zoning department, and we can make the addition we want to make (which is a very small addition, of about 300 - 400 square feet). I'm going to call our local green building supply store tomorrow. I'm going to guess that what we want to do is going to cost WAY over our budget, but I may as well find that out for certain! In the meantime, we're still checking out the local new listings every day.
Thank you for all the great info, ZippyGirl! I do not know anyone who has done a green renovation, so this is really helpful. We probably don't have any green builders in our area, but I will make a few calls.    Our ideal situation would be to find a larger house that had all the major updates done several years ago (so already off-gassed), but that doesn't seem to be happening!   If we do decide to go ahead with the renovation, I will PM you for details. There...
We have been looking for a larger house in our area for quite some time now, and have not found anything suitable. We love our current lot, neighborhood, etc. but our house is small, and we would like more space.   Buying a larger house will be expensive. We estimate that all said and done, it will cost us approximately $120K to buy a larger house (including higher taxes, higher mortgage, closing costs, realtor fees, etc.)   It's possible that for that same price...
I have 3 boys and we are pretty successful with saving and handing down clothes from one boy to the next.   Their sneakers usually wear out before they are outgrown (my kids are very active). But in the summer I buy them each a pair of Keen sandals, which they they wear EVERY single day.   This year, I bought my oldest a new pair of sandals, but there are hand-me-down Keens that the other two kids could wear. They are a little worn, but still usable. However, a...
When I started my budget a few months ago, I budgeted $70/month for clothing. This is for me, DH and our 3 boys. It includes outerwear, accessories and shoes.   We don't really have any good thrift stores in our area, but if I happen to see something good at a garage sale, I'll buy it. I am good about handing down clothing from boy to boy, so we rarely have to buy outerwear, snow boots, etc.   Other than that, we buy our stuff new, but we try to find good sales,...