or Connect

Posts by taubel

Thanks for the info! I never thought about the title insurance policy. We have lived in our home for 8 years and did purchase title insurance, but I have no idea where it is! Hopefully it's in our file cabinet somewhere.
I'm trying to get rid of unnecessary paperwork.    How long do we need to save tax forms?   What about 401(k) statements? We check most of them online and have canceled the paper statement. Is this OK?   What about bank account statements? We get most of these online as well.   Besides financial statements, we have saved our passports, birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc. in just a filing cabinet. Should these be in something that's fire...
We bought twin size futons from whitelotus.net.   They're filled with cotton and wool with a cotton cover. No foam. It's not organic, but it's all natural. There are no chemicals. We supplied a doctors note and they made futons for us with no boric acid.   We've had one of them for about 5 years and it's still in OK condition. My son sleeps fine on it. But I can feel the futon slats through it.   They also seem to create a lot of dust.   I would have...
I have three boys - almost 10, 7 and 4 - so we end up saving a lot of clothes. We have an entire bedroom closet devoted to the in-between clothes, which I keep in Rubbermaid bins (labeled). I was beginning to feel overwhelmed by all the clothes, but now I have started simplifying my oldest's wardrobe. The less things he has, the less there are to hand down. In addition, the older the boys get, the more wrecked their clothes get. I don't keep anything with holes or...
We were told the amount of money was too insignificant to involve an estate planning attorney. They have no assets aside from this small amount of money.   I suppose we can consult with a tax attorney, though, on the tax implications for the "giftees."   I was just hoping somebody on here had dealt with a similar situation and had some tips to give us.
  We actually are planning to keep the money set aside until they pass away, just in case they do need/want it. We are also considering the possibility of buying a larger house in which one of them could live with us if necessary. We (and they) are just trying to avoid having the money be wiped out in one year of nursing home care.    
DH's parents are in their 80s and not in the best of health. They currently live in an apartment together and are capable of caring for themselves, but FIL is in the early stages of dementia and will soon give up driving (and MIL does not drive).   They do not have any assets, other than small pensions and about $150K in bonds and savings.   MIL recently announced that she was going to give most of her money to DH and his sister so it doesn't all go to a nursing...
Our dryer broke a few months ago. We're not sure how old it is (came with our house) but it would have to be AT LEAST 10 years old, but probably older. I called an appliance repair man, who was very old school - probably in his late 70s. He charged $45 to come out, and then our total bill was $150! I wasn't sure it was best to fix the dryer, but the old man said it was better than sending $400+ on a new one that wouldn't be made as well. I hated spending $150, but the...
Well, we would know what the mortgage would be once we found the house we wanted! At that point, we'd have to work out the finances and see if we could afford it! Right now we are looking at a specific house that is on the high end of what we're comfortable paying, so we will probably end up not making an offer.   I do like your rules to live by, though! We are adhering to these in our current home. However, if we did buy a larger home, we'd still have a downpayment (at...
Thanks! DH and I have discussed finances to death! He doesn't care where we live or how much money we have. Both of us live very simply and are very conservative when it comes to money. I am very indecisive and afraid to take risks when it comes to spending money. But I definitely do want a different house. I'm just afraid to take the plunge! I base everything on the worst case scenario - like what if one of us were to lose our job? But of course that could happen no...