or Connect

Posts by taubel

Yes, we're going to take a walk through it in a few weeks. I've never been in all the bedrooms or the basement, so who knows if we'll even want to buy it after taking a closer look.   At least I know they moved not because they didn't like the house/location, but because they wanted a mansion and an in-ground pool (they built a house worth 3 times the price of the one they're selling) We don't want a mansion or an in-ground pool, so perhaps we'd be happy with the...
Well, it looks like nobody has too much of a problem with our buying the neighbor's house, which is good.    As far as the financial obligations of owning two houses for a period of time, that is something we are going to have to deal with. DH and I are both frugal by nature, and don't like taking financial risks, but we have been stockpiling cash for the purpose of holding two mortgages for a period of 12 months.   Some realtors in our area won't write a...
We would prefer not to rent our house. We're not handy, and since we don't own it outright, we wouldn't really make much of a profit. Of course, if for some reason we couldn't sell our house, we would have to rent it to make ends meet. And then perhaps it would be easier to live next door and keep close tabs on the renters.   We have approval to get another mortgage while still holding our current mortgage. Depending on the price of the house we purchase, we may have...
Thanks for the advice. Yes, we do want to sell our house, and yes, we would have to pay a seller's agent to sell our house (we wouldn't risk trying to sell it ourselves). We would not buy the neighbor's house without a lawyer, inspection, etc.    As far as owning two houses, that is something we are going to end up doing no matter what house we buy. It terrifies me, but we can do it. We will have to dip into our savings to pay both mortgages, but we can sustain this for...
Our neighbors are planning to sell their house this spring. It's larger and nicer than our house, and we've been planning a home upgrade for a while. We love our current neighborhood and location but our house is just not big enough for us (and can't be added onto in a cost effective way).    Assuming we could work out a good price with our neighbors (they would like to avoid agent fees), are there any downsides to buying their house?    And maybe an even more...
The bed is gone as of today. I looked at it in the basement and see that the wood was starting to separate and crack. So I put it up on Freecycle, and a woman came to get it two hours later. She loved the bed! It turns out she's a single mom of 3 kids and is trying to pick up furniture cheap (or free). She even emailed me later today to say how thankful she was for the bed.   And my basement looks/feels so much bigger. I've gone down there a few times today just to...
Thanks for everyone's opinions! I'm pretty sure we will NEVER have a guest room - we don't even have enough space for each of my sons to have their own room.    Also, we use organic/natural mattresses on platform beds (so we don't have to buy box springs in addition to mattresses). This full size bed would require a box spring - and of course a full size mattress costs more than a twin.    Like a few others said, nobody really uses full size beds anymore anyway,...
When DH and I first got married we bought a really nice hardrock maple bedroom set at an estate sale. We have been using both dressers, the mirror, and the end tables, and have been very pleased with the set.   The set included a beautiful full size headboard/footboard  as well. We didn't use this because we wanted a king bed. We didn't want to break up the set, so we kept it in the basement. I thought maybe someday I'd have a girl who would want this beautiful bed....
I bought a Swiffer to use for dusting under beds, couches, etc. I imagined I would slightly dampen my current dust cloths, use them with the Swiffer, and then wash them afterwards.    But then I decided to use the free sample throwaway cloths that came with the Swiffer. And they worked SO WELL! Better than any other dusting system I've tried.   So now I'm tempted to buy a box of those. But I don't really want to use something disposable, and I don't want to waste...
FWIW, we really like our Trac phones. DH and I are not big cell phone users, but we do use them sometimes. I budget $12.20/month for them, and that includes BOTH phones. Best of luck paring down!